1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any other Civilization players?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ANightDude, Jun 16, 2013.

1. ANightDude

Or is it just me? :lol:

God I fucking love this game. And the expansion pack coming next months... ajjdskvnsundnseusduocnosduvoudsrucod.

I can't even.

2. BudderMC

I'm picking it up when the expansion comes out, since it was on sale and my brother needed me to get something for some deal or whatever.

It looks hella fun.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Civ! I was just talking to Minx about playing it hehe. I've got the G&K expansion and a couple little mods for it.

Right now I'm playing as Japan, waging on-and-off war with Babylon for control of the continent. The thing about wars in Civ V, though, they're so darn hard! It's easy enough to defend your own territory, but it's almost impossible not to get bogged down in a foreign invasion. Especially early in the game when you have no paratroopers, missiles, etc, wars are attrition-dominated stalemates until one side runs out of resources and gets crushed.

My Prehistory mod, which adds about 2000 years and even older tech to the game, sort of broke the research progression though. Instead of discovering things at about the proper time they were in real life, it allows over half of human advancement to take place in B.C. times. It's about 125 b.c. for me right now (and progressing ONE YEAR per turn X.X), but I've just entered the Industrial Age and have factories, cannons, etc. Other than that, it was pretty fun to play as cavemen making rock carvings and hitting each other with clubs. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. CTJ

CTJ

Civ is probably my favourite gaming series on PC. I have lost so many days of my life to that game, i just think to myself that i'll play a few turns in the morning and the next thing i know its dark outside and 12 hours have passed.

I didn't even know there was a new expansion coming out for Civ 5, im super excited for it now.

I have to agree with RSwordsman, war can be a pain in the arse. I remember being incredibly stubborn once when i was playing as Polynesia and had a 100 year siege against Marseille. It was such a sweet feeling when i finally captured it, i didn't even care about the rest pf France and just accepted peace afterwards.

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I liked Civ II, I enjoyed Civ III, I loved Civ IV.

(Civ I can be fun for a short time too)

Civ V I bought recently when it was on sale at Steam, and I just haven't gotten much into it. I'd like to, but somehow it just hasn't clicked with me.

So if I get a Civ craving, I'll probably fire up Civ IV with the expansion packs.

6. BrokenWings

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I adore the Civilization series! The one thing that bothers me is the graphics, they would look better if they had of a more DEFCON/Empire:Total War like interface. I can't wait for the expansion.

7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have spent many an evening suddenly noticing it's 3AM and I need to be at work by 8AM xD

So far, I did have my best experiences with a fully-expanded Civ IV. to me, the balance is almost perfect and it's interesting and challenging at every point of history.

Civ V is "merely very good" in comparison, to me, but I do have high hopes for the second expansion. Second expansion seems to be the point where Firaxis always manages to smooth out 90% of all major issues and delivers the classic you'll be playing two editions later.

Though... I'm really hoping they'll ever get to making a proper Alpha Centauri sequel. To this day, I still play the original two or three times a year to wallow in nostalgia.

8. ANightDude

Can I just say a domination victory is incredibly freaking difficult?

I'm playing as Rome right now and it's more challenging than any of the other games so far. I've conquered the Netherlands as well as Arabia and I'm setting my sights on Babylon... but Austria is a pain in the ass and is constantly building their military to be better than mine. Eventually the war between us will be horrible, especially when flying comes into play. And Ethiopia is challenging me when it comes to technology...

Like, I mean, fuck.

9. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's my favorite lol

10. Sardonic

Civilization is an amazing game. So is Age of Empires & Age of Mythology. I like all the civ's I've played, although I think IV was my favorite.

A lot of people hate on AoE III but I absolutely love it. Especially the instant cuirassiers... definitely those.

11. Candace

I LOVE THAT GAME.

Unfortunately it's on a desktop computer at my other parent's house -_-

12. Praetor

I absolutely love the Civilization series. That being said, I prefer Civ IV BtS to the new Civ V, even though I have both. Although to be fair I haven't played Civ V with any of the expansions.

13. srslywtf

Yeah huge fan! I don't play it constantly though, tend to go through phases where I'll play it heeapps then leave it be for a while.

14. I like to play the DS version when I'm away from home and need something to keep me occupied for hours on end.

15. Jamilynn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've always loved civilization! I remember all the fun times playing civ2 haha. I've also played 3 and 4 but I've had issues with 5 and can't get to play it. I love the history and strategy of the series. My favorite civ to play as was either the French, Americans, or Japaneese.

16. ScatteredEarth

Civilization is a game I have strongly mixed feelings about. On one hand, it's a good RTS with a decent general idea. I like how there are multiple ways to win. Albeit there are some pretty fucking insane ways of winning.. Plus if I get really hooked into the game I can see myself playing for 12+ hours.. Which is a hard thing to make me do.

The downside is that once you get later into the game, everyone else is stupidly overpowered with Apaches and Stealth Bombers to the point where I can't ever win because that stupid Iriqouis jackass keeps obliterating me.. What the hell is he even doing in the Modern era? His race should be barely alive at that point in time!

17. Hun

Hun

I have every game and every expansion pack, including Alpha Centauri.

18. Trailblazer

It's taking everything I got to not wait until brave new world goes on sale.. really disappointed I missed the accidental 33% off during the steam sales..

19. Kyllani

I absolutely adored Civilization V until the G&K expac came out. I played one game under the new expansion and haven't played since. I just didn't care for it.

20. Adam Smith

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I love civ v sooooo much!