1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mitchell, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Mitchell

I got myself a new MacBook Pro 13.3", i7 processor, 8GB RAM, and a 750GB HDD... about two weeks ago.

Very pleased.

2. starfish

I've a 2012 13" MBP. Mine is if the 2.5 GHz i5. I upgraded mine to 16GB RAM and and added a 250GB SSD.

I've had mine about a year and it is pretty speedy. I went round and round on getting the i7 when I bought it. I finally decided I would be better off with more memory and the SSD.

The only think I don't like is that I wish it had a higher resolution screen.

3. Mitchell

Yeah.

Apple only supports 8GB of RAM on the 13.3" MBP's.

Sorta sucks...

Even online they don't offer more than 8GB of RAM..

Although, after reading online, they technically support 16GB of RAM, but Apple doesn't document that.

Even so - I would be interested in upgrading to 16GB of RAM, but it isn't too easy on the unibody MBP's

I'd likely bring it to someone who is experienced with such hardware. I've never had to deal with a unibody MBP before - so I'm not sure what to do, and with it being a unibody, I don't want to mess anything up.

For now, 8GB is enough...

16GB would be nice. But I don't want to put in another manufacturer's memory, if Apple won't support it. I don't want to invalidate my Apple Care plan.

4. Naomilly92

I want one!:icon_bigg
    I'm going to get one in September, when my student loan comes through :slight_smile:

5. secrethermit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you actually need 16GB of RAM? I don't get why people are obsessed with upgrading their PCs all the time.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suppose it depends on what one is doing with the computer...

I don't even have a gigabyte, and I'm getting by just fine. But I only do light weight tasks, and I'm running Linux, so my memory requirements are a lot lower than what some people need.

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2013 at 05:55 PM ----------

I like the MacBook line, except for the glossy screens most models have. (I don't like the reflective glare.) It'd be high on my list if I ever went shopping for a new notebook computer, which, at this point, doesn't seem likely given that I really don't need portability. It's too bad portable computer technology wasn't better and more affordable when I was student aged and really could have used it.

7. Night Rain

The few tasks that require that much (and more) RAM are very taxing and shouldn't be done with a laptop anyway. Meanwhile, if it's a PC, I can understand. In my line of work, 8GB of RAM is considered inadequate. 32GB is recommended. For a laptop, the weakened CPU bottlenecks the laptop's performance, so you won't notice any changes even with more RAM added. 8GB is plenty enough.

8. Mitchell

I do some tech work as well as heavy graphics editing.

8GB of RAM allows me to have many instances of Photoshop open as well as many Illustrator documents open at once.

16GB should make it so that I can have even more open at once.

I do a lot of tech work, and some of the techniques I use to secure a network use up a lot of memory, requiring at least 8GB to perform an adequate network scan.

Keep in mind, you only do this sort of thing is you are contracted to do so, and have it in writing, specifically what you're testing for... But these scans take up tons of RAM.

I don't need 16GB of RAM now, but when I do, I'll sell this MacBook and put the money towards a newer model.

9. starfish

Not all application the need lots of memory need lots of CPU.

In my case I need to build up test environments that replicate enterprise IT environments. Heck I've had a couple of times where 16GB was not enough, yet my CPU was sitting idle.

Anyway. The the Unibody machines are way easier to upgrade than the old models. Just a handful of screws and the bottom panel pops off. I was able to upgrade the memory and install the SSD in about 10 minutes. I've never bought memory from Apply they charge way too much. I bought the 16GB upgrade for what they charged for the 8GB upgrade.

10. freemysoul

freemysoul Guest

Still liking the Macbook Pro? I have a late 2009 Macbook and I'd love to be able to upgrade to a pro at some point. Just not enough funds right now with being in college.

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm waiting for either the Haswell or Broadwell processors to come out. Now that I really need a computer for my work (doing lots of bioinformatics), I want to get a good system that can last me many years.

12. OhSOCurious

I have a desktop.

30" 1000GB HDD 8gb RAM 3.3GHz (3.5 overclock)
    Macs are powerless ._.

13. LinkLarkin

I have a Macbook Pro! :grin:

It's two and a bit years old though so almost certainly not as up to date as yours. (I'm not enough of a computer geek to be able to give you exact specifications without spending about twenty minutes searching for them, as I found out a few days ago when I had to enter them on a form...)

It's not as fast as it used to be, I guess I'm using up a lot more of its memory after two years of university, but it's still pretty decent. They do dent easily though, be careful if you're taking it out and about.

14. OhSOCurious

After like 3 years, macs lose their touch.
    Also, they're a bitch to find compatible apps for :frowning2:

15. Pat

Pat

I work for da Apple :slight_smile: Right, we only offer the 16GB RAM with the higher end Retina MacBook Pro 15 inch models. 8GB is the support ram max on the other models, but you could install more RAM, it does void your warranty though :/ What kind of things are you doing that require more than 8GB? Another thing is we do offer support documents for installing RAM. The base model MacBook Pros can be upgraded by the user and we offer a support doc that shows you how to do it. Wouldn't recommend voiding a warranty though :/ Haswell processors just went into the 13 inch Air, so I guess that could be on the horizon. They've upgraded the processors in the MacBook Pros a couple of times since the initial release of these models... I don't understand the fascination with 16GB and processor styles either.. most of my customers will never do anything remotely important enough to require 16GB of RAM and a specific processor type. Every year they want some other processor.. First it was Ivy Bridge this, ivy bridge that.. now Haswell. lol.

#15 Pat, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  16. UndercoverGypsy

8 gigs works fine for pretty much anything you'll ever want to use an MBP for, though... If you really want to do heavy lifting, why not run Linux or Windows?

17. Kaoru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a question for MacBook Pro owners. Do your laptops get too hot?
    The part between the keyboard and the screen gets seriously hot sometimes and I wonder if that's a common thing with Macs or it's just mine.

18. starfish

What model do you have? My old 2007 15" MBP used to get really hot. I don't notice it much on my 2012 13" MBP.

19. Kaoru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It says model A1286 in the box...I'm not sure what year the model is from because I got it from my college...it shouldn't be too old though, bought it this year.

20. UndercoverGypsy

Mine is boiling, but it's a 2009 model, so it's probably mostly because it's old. Try opening it up and blasting the cpu fan with some compressed air!