1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to convert PAK0.PK3 for Quake 3 Arena CE

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Dustin Broke, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Does anyone know how to use the pak convert that is in the folder for the Quake 3 Arena CE? I need to convert the PAK0.PK3 file since it's too big and want to make more compact to it will work on a Dell X51V PDA. This is what it says to do.

Run the pakconvert tool like this to build the pk3 file for your handheld:
    cd pakconvert
    bash ./pakconvert.sh c:/q3a (replacing path with wherever your Quake 3 Arena installation is)

I basically don't really understand this well and I don't know how to convert the PAK file and make it smaller. I tried to use the convert program that came with the instill files for the game to run on a PDA but I can't convert it at all to make it smaller since right now it's like 460mb or so and need to make it like around 160mb so it won't take much space.

2. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Here's the install notes that came with the files so I can play this game on my Dell X51V PDA. I just don't know how to make the PAK0.PK3 files more compact so it will be around 160mb instead of 460mb. It comes with this converter program but it doesn't work right.

Quake 3 Arena CE Installation Guide
    Version 1.1b
    -------------------------------------

Requirements:

* Pocket PC 2003 compatible handheld (ARM/XScale CPU)
    * Intel 2700g if you want hardware acceleration.
    * 124MB of storage space (Fits on a 128 MB SD Card )
    * 40MB of available storage+program memory (64 MB devices running PPC2003, 96MB running WM5)
    * An installed copy of Quake 3 Arena on your PC, complete with all the upgrade patches

Installation:

1. Ensure you have a copy of Quake 3 Arena installed on your PC. You're going to need the
    artwork/content from the game because it is not redistributable.

2. Run the pakconvert tool like this to build the pk3 file for your handheld:
    cd pakconvert
    bash ./pakconvert.sh c:/q3a (replacing path with wherever your Quake 3 Arena installation is)

3. Copy everything over to your handheld. You will need 124 MB of space

DELL AXIM AND ACCELERATED HANDHELDS:
    q3ce.exe
    gx.dll
    baseq3\q3config.cfg
    baseq3\pak0.pk3
    baseq3\cgamearm.dll
    baseq3\qagamearm.dll
    baseq3\uiarm.dll

UNACCELERATED HANDHELDS:
    q3ce.exe
    gx.dll
    libgles_cm.dll
    baseq3\q3config.cfg
    baseq3\pak0.pk3
    baseq3\cgamearm.dll
    baseq3\qagamearm.dll
    baseq3\uiarm.dll

The other files are unused by the actual game.

4. You should not need to adjust your "program versus storage" memory, though on some devices with greater than 64MB
    of memory, adjusting to have more program memory may improve performance.

Notes:

1. Network support is obviously limited. Your Pocket PC likely doesn't have a very fast internet connection, so
    your ping times are going to be crap. Hell, it might not even work. Maybe in the next release...
    2. You may have a hard time entering text, or a CD key or whatever, unless you have an external keyboard. Avoid
    menus where you have to type stuff in. Maybe virtual keyboard in next release...
    3. I had to eliminate support for the virtual machine in the codebase. This means that many 'mods' will not work for
    you, as the UI, Game, and CGame modules are all hard-coded into the program. If someone wants to find a way to get
    that working on the ARM cpu in a fast fashion (ha! and steal resources from our meager graphics?!) feel free
    to do so.
    4. Memory now autopartitions itself, so you don't need to worry about reconfiguring stuff. You still need a lot of
    memory, but requirements have been reduced to work with 64MB PPC2003 devices.
    5. Audio has been converted to MP3 to save space :slight_smile:
    6. Fonts and graphics have been cleaned up by using better resizing mechanism.

I think that's all.

11/15/05
    Christien Rioux
    [email protected]

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

asically if you type install Quake 3 Arena CE on the Google search it shows a lot of links so you can download it. I just downloaded the latest one the 1.1b version and I do have the retail copy of Quake 3 Arena for PC and I just needed to copy the PAK file and put it on the baseq3 folder for the Q3A CE version then have to convert it to make it smaller file so it will fit on a PDA. But if they install note is for Linux then that's a problem since I have Windows 7. Maybe someone can help me find out how to convert it on Windows OS and let me know I would truly appreciate it.

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2013 at 04:21 PM ----------

I mistyped I meant to say Basically not asically.

3. SlickyPants

If you open a command prompt from the pakconvert folder (go to the folder, hold shift, right-click and select "Open Command Window Here", you should be able to type in bash ./pakconvert.sh c:/q3a and replace the c:/q3a with wherever you have Quake III Arena installed on your PC and it will run the little shell script.

I don't have a copy of Quake III to try it with but it looks like it includes cygwin which allows you to run a Unix-like environment within Windows. It should let you run the shell script if you have it pointing to a valid Quake III directory. Just make sure you use forward slashes.

4. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Ok I did try that and basically I got this.

C:\q3a\pakconvert>bash ./pakconvert.sh c:/q3a
    bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
    (cleaning up paktemp)
    1 [main] bash 5028 fork_copy: linked dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x56D000.
    .0x56D020, done 0, windows pid 1840, Win32 error 487
    ./pakconvert.sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

C:\q3a\pakconvert>

I wonder this error is happing is since I' am using Win 7 and not XP I read somewhere online that XP works fine but Win Vista or so didn't work right. Also my system is a 64bit and I don't know if you need 32bit to run this. I don't know if that's the real reason it's not working though.

5. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Ok I used Windows XP instead and it worked so I' am happy. Just needed to install Open Command Prompt Here then I can use the CMD and do the bash ./pakconvert.sh c:/q3a and it worked perfectly. Btw without your help I would of not done it since I never knew I could use CMD to install it. :slight_smile:

Ya someone said that it was made for Linux but that person was totally wrong. Basically just need CMD to do it.

6. SlickyPants

Right on, glad it worked. I haven't played Quake III Arena for a long time. It was a pretty fun deathmatch game back in its day and still is.

7. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

But for some reason even it's converted it's still over 400mb so I wonder how did some people get it low as around 160mb. Maybe I did it wrong? It did say convert complete and it took a while to convert all of the files. I can say over 400mb is still huge but maybe they did something else to make it smaller than the converted pak file.

Btw I did try to test to see if I can use the demo PAK0.PK3 file and use that instead but the game didn't run. I wonder if the PAK file from a demo is different but I think it's just smaller so I thought it will work better since it's not over 400mb. I also can't find many help infos for running this game on a Dell PDA. One person was trying it on a cell phone I think but not a PDA like what I have. I guess this is not as easy as I though.