1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Programming tools

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ptacub, Jun 29, 2013.

1. ptacub

ptacub Guest

Hey fellow programmers

I'm curious what tools you guys like to use for programming, regardless of language or operating system.

My favourite tools are:

gedit, SciTE or Notepadd++ (depending on what I feel like using, don't ask why :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )
    Geany
    Lazarus (on Linux) or Delphi 7 (on Windows)
    code::blocks

I don't know if compilers really counts as a tool, but I use GCC and Free Pascal Compiler.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Code::Blocks and GCC

Syster Adrian

3. Sarcastic Luck

NuSphere PhpED since it's kind of a catch all for the various web design languages (html/xhtml, javascript, php, etc).

4. Holly

I've been doing Java in Computing (yes, I am female and I like computers :slight_smile:), and we use BlueJ. I found it a very useful tool if you're learning for the first time. It's reasonably simple, and I've used more complex tools, but it is pretty awesome.

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

For my coding at work, I just use emacs. The code I write isn't especially complicated, so I just need a simple editor that can do the indentations for me.

6. Just Jess

I don't want to editor war with Owen but I'm a vi fan. I usually use ViM.

Of course both our editors pale in comparison with ed, Ed, man! !man ed- GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF) .

Awesome! It's more common than I think people will ever get credit. It's like where women and video games were 10 years ago. A lot of the best programmers I went to school with were women.

Oh I almost forgot tools! Well I started out with free tools almost exclusively. I've moved back to proprietary stuff just because that's the way of the world. But I think it's really great that MSVS 2010 express is free. It's a little more work but you really can do just about anything with that and the WinDDK that you can do on a free OS. And ordinary people can use your programs then :slight_smile:

#6 Just Jess, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  7. RainbowMan

Owen - I use Linux, not emacs :grin:

I don't need my text editor to be an IRC client, music player, web browser, window manager (yes, look at StumpWM - FWIW, I use it's C cousin, ratpoison), and whatever else......

Seriously, I use vim for most of what I do at work, because like Owen it's simple and all that I need is an editor that does indentation and syntax highlighting, which vim does for a variety of languages (though mostly I use Python)

8. ptacub

ptacub Guest

That's great. My high school I.T. teacher (where I learnt Pascal progrmaming) is female and has been programming for over 25 years. I wish more women were in the IT industry.

I was always under the assumption emacs and vi were a lot more complicated than most editors. :/

It's actually so true. For school at least, we had to use Delphi 7 for our Pascal development and I have a friend who works as a C# developer, and they strictly use Microsoft tools only. I guess it's only my university that's quite anal about using open-source tools, which I don't mind because I love open-source stuff. :grin:

9. Just Jess

The holy editor war continues well into the new millennium.

Well on a serious note, people wouldn't be so up in arms about emacs and vim if they weren't so completely awesome.

Also I was reminded of this,

It turns out the editor was named after two homeless men. So you can feel awesome about using it :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 30th Jun 2013 at 07:12 AM ----------

They really aren't.

Well okay, vim has a little bit of a learning curve. But it comes with a program called vimtutor that will get you up and running in 20 minutes. Just treat it like a video game; the controls feel a lot like video game controls anyway. This is the one I prefer just because I'm so much faster at everything with it. Like I can edit no lie several megs of code with the thing, it is just an awesome program.

Emacs I feel is a little easier to learn. There's just a few keyboard basic keyboard shortcuts you have to know and then it's every other editor. What you get out of the box is really simple.

Where emacs shines (and why everyone jokingly compares it to an OS) is that it's REAL easy to extend. Plus the language you use to extend it, lisp, teaches you really good programming habits.

#9 Just Jess, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  10. lssl

lssl Guest

vim, gcc/g++, valgrind

I learned on vim so it's not entirely fair to say how much more I like it because I'm obviously biased.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a vim user, but I don't know how to use it effectively anyway.

And let's not be mean about emacs, kay? :frowning2:

(&&&)

12. Just Jess

See I'm actually trying to get better with emacs, because I'll find myself writing short shell scripts and then

:!chmod +X shellscript.bash; ./shellscript.bash

or

vjjjjj
    :'<,'>!./shellscript.bash

like a whole lot. Which is really completely unnecessary. I mean it's why other people are like "why don't you just use eclipse :rolleyes:" to me.

So yeah, being able to do lots of complicated things in-editor would be really awesome. Until then for some things I DO break down and use Eclipse.

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love Vim, but sometimes it can be frustrating remembering all the commands. But, it's great when you're already in the terminal and don't want to switch to an external editor. Besides the vimtutor that comes with the editor, you might check out these links for learning.

YBlog - Learn Vim Progressively
    VIM Adventures

In cases where I have to use an external editor, my choice is Sublime Text. It is Vim-like (there is even a cool vim-emulation option), but very clean-looking.

Sublime Text: The text editor you'll fall in love with

Also, for those who are obsessive about syntax highlighting like me, check out the Solarized color palette, which can be added to multiple editors and the Terminal itself.

Solarized - Ethan Schoonover

14. SomeNights

i used to love nano, but as of late am kinda moving to Vim for most coding. If it's a really big project or i'm working with someone else's source code I'll use NetBeans, just because of the documentation support (but that damn thing takes forever to start!)

for compilers it really depends on what my target is, but for the most part it's gcc.

15. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

When I'm working on Linux, I use gedit for writing the code, valgrind for checking for memory leaks, and the modified compiler used by ROOT, software developed by CERN for particle physics. On Windows I use Microsoft Visual Studio Express for C++, Eclipse for Java, and the standard IDLE for Python. Sometimes if I'm just looking at code or making small edits rather than writing it, I'll use Notepad++.

I never did figure out how to use emacs properly.

16. ptacub

ptacub Guest

I will most likely learn to use either vim or emac in future when I start working. Right now, considering I'm in my first year of computer science, we're still making small C++ programs, so a simple text editor and terminal does the job at the moment.

17. prism

Eclipse for JAVA, Sublime for HTML/CSS, IDLE for Python.
    When I'm not crazy busy with school and work, I want to learn how to run Linux. 0;