1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game programming

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by phoenixverde, Jul 3, 2013.

1. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am taking a game programming class next semester! Then, in the spring, I get to take a game design class.

I never have been one to feel like that is what I want to do with my life, but I think it would be a lot of fun to learn to about.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Along with being freaking awesome, it is HARD work. Maybe I'm just not cut out for programming, but it is at once a new language, and a new way of thinking, further compounded by the fact that the computer usually doesn't know what you intend to say, so can't help out much.

If I may ask, did they specify any language(s) that you will use? I found C++ to be easy enough to learn so that you may make a text-based game like Zork. We also learned Java, but that (as an object-oriented instead of process-oriented language*, you'll learn what the differences are) was much less intuitive and took a lot of brainpower to put to use.

I wish you luck though. I went to college for game design (gravitated strongly towards the artistic aspects), and while I haven't hit the big time, I do take lots of pride in knowing what makes my near-and-dear hobby tick. :grin:

*I don't mean to turn this thread into one about programming, because I really am still a layman. I do know you can do object-oriented in C++ and vice-versa, but felt that Java was designed to use it exclusively.

#2 Argentwing, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  3. Holly

I'm currently learning Java (I've been learning it for the last year) and I actually find it very cool to use. If you've had any previous programming experience in C# type coding, it's very similar. I've been making text-based games on them, like little scenario games (eg. noughts and crosses) and it's rather easy to code. It does take a lot of intuitiveness. I google most things, and I would fully recommend using Java Class Libraries.

I've got my heart set on doing English Literature at Uni, but if I was do computing, I would definitely focus on game design! I hope you enjoy yourself!

4. srslywtf

Enjoy!

Once upon a time my destiny was programming (most likely games). I was a competent programmer and got to the point where I'd programmed from scratch things like my own version of tetris... Never tried to get work in that field though, and dropped out of uni because I'd already taught myself everything they were teaching me up to the end of 2nd year... which was too boring/frustrating

I should really shake off the rust and get back into it, but I dunno.. something in my mind changed, it's not me anymore.

It is very difficult work though... everyone wants to make "that" game.. the one that emulates the entire universe and supports everything and looks better than real life... Understand that those major major titles have teams of hundreds of people - I could never deal with that kind of giant factory setup, I need to see myself making very obvious progress.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good for you, syster!

6. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks everyone!

It didn't specify a language. It did say we would have a final project of programming a game. I plan on building a learning game for my kids. It would be awesome to learn to do that.

I do have some programming experience. I know some Java and actually have to take a class in it this semester. I have a little experience with a few object oriented languages.

I am the type that wants to see an end result to what I am learning. This class just seems to be the best way to really get into programming.

7. ptacub

ptacub Guest

Good luck. :slight_smile: I was once interested in video-game design and programming but then I realized how complex programming games, particularly 3D games -- which would require extensive knowledge in math and physics. It scares the living crap out of me. :/

8. Laevigatae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Eh, I'm jealous. We don't have game programming classes around here. :(

Game programming is a lot of fun. If you don't obsess over "perfect" code that is. Everyone's first game is supposed to be a mess.

I'm saying this because I've been making a Commander Pix-man clone for quite some time, and I constantly scrap giant blocks of code to make everything "perfect". Then I end up re-writing the same thing all over again. And again. And again; again; again.

The clone I'm making is probably more complex than the original at this point seeing as I implemented multi-threading. It's not even worth it since I'm managing no more than 20 objects each level.

Point is, just make the thing work. I can't follow my own advice; but don't be like me. :p