1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pokemon Games... suck?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by lawRAWR, Jul 3, 2013.

1. lawRAWR

Right, don't get me wrong. I love Pokemon. I LOVE the franchise.

But, many months ago, I bought Pokemon White for my DSi and... well I never completed it. I hated almost all of the new Pokemon, it made me lose the love for it. This meant that I didn't really want to carry on with the game. Up until this day, I still don't like it, no matter how many times I delete the data and start over again :eek:

Thing is, I loved Pearl and Soulsilver for the DS. And Pearl introduced many new Pokemon! But now that X and Y are coming out (I got a 3DS XL today :icon_bigg ) I really want to love the series again, but I don't want to waste my money if I hate it :confused:

Does anyone else feel this way about the newer generations?

2. Colours

For me, it takes some getting used to. At first, I didn't like many of the new pokemon. But with time, I started liking them better.

Liking older generations better is tied to nostalgia, the old pokemon are not necessarily better. You just like them better because you have a history with them.

3. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually find BW and BW2 to be the best of whole series. I loved the story in both games and I do like the new Pokemon. Not quite as much as some of the gen 6 Pokemon we've seen so far, but still do like a lot of them.

4. Dani3l

How can you not love Tepig and Snivy??! xd

Anyways, I think Colours was dead on.

I personally think that the story in BW is more interesting and mature than the rest, with that N character and all...

5. Ridiculous

The only Poke designs in gen 5 that I dislike is the Vanillite line.
    It does seem to have fewer that I do like a lot (Liepard, Golurk, Galvantula, and Stunfisk are the only ones that come to mind), but I wouldn't say it was any worse than the other gens.

6. Harve

BW2 is my favourite. Every generation, the battling has become more and more balanced with abilities, EVs, IVs, natures making the strategy element far deeper. The first generation was downright broken. I daresay the plots have improved too, and are more mature.

But those nostalgia goggles were so much better back in the day!

7. Oxelotl

Not Necessarily. Okay perhaps Black and White didn't have the same impact on me such as say, Emerald or Pearl, but I still enjoyed it and finished it nonetheless. I personaly found Black 2 and White 2 to be much better. I think my main problem was that there were some Pokemon that were a bit suspect (Trubbish? Seriously?) but then there were some Pokemon which are among my favourites.

8. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I kinda feel the same way, I always beat Burgh and then all the level grinding gets boring. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. DeanIsHome

I tried playing Black & White but i couldn't get into it, however i still play Pokemon Fire-red still on my Gameboy Advanced :grin:

10. The starter pokemon look a bit like neopets LOL

11. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like the series hasn't been reaching it's full potential in the past few games, however I do love the Black and White games. I think that Nintendo is finally going to pull it together with X and Y, as they're finally using the strengths and capabilities of the 3DS to their advantage. And as dorky as it looks, the skybattles ARE GONNA BE TOTALLY BADASS!

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut the starters do look like neopets, Anthony is right. :slight_smile:

12. Dodonnas

Dodonnas Guest

To be honest? Did not particularly care for any of the Pokemon past generation two (Porygon-Z an exception....love that guy!), but the big thing that made me love Black/White over others was what I felt to be a stronger story line (Gym leaders do things?! OMG). Also, let's face it, unlimited TM usage?

Yes please.

13. Abraxas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think is some cases, mine included, the waning love comes from my increasing age. I still enjoy the series, but the older I get, the less excited I am for the new games, though I can still find certain things I love about each.
    I notice I'm not as much as a gamer as I once was; it's almost as if playing is a chore.
    I will, however, continue to play, and support the franchise for as long as possible. It is, after all, a childhood staple.

14. Who knows

Who knows Guest

I wouldn't really say it sucks to be honest.
    The games do not really deviate as much from each other and they introduce new features to try and keep it fun and interesting.

Who wouldn't want to fight a horde of pokemon?

Thinking of all the exp. you'll makes me excited!

15. SlickyPants

The original 151 for me! I haven't played any of the newer games. The only ones I've played were Red, Blue and Yellow for the Game Boy and Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Stadium for the N64.

16. Ticklish Fish

heh, I haven't got my hands on any new games since RSE, but I am annoyed that they changed the sprite for male swimmers from speedo to something less revealing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But then again, I LOVE most grass and bug types and other types don't bother me at all~

(breloom is such a sexy beast)

17. AaronG

AaronG Guest

Black and White 2 were cool I just wanna know how in the works Iris of all people became champion!

18. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to be rude but...whine whine whine. I'm tired of the haters of the new generation. The Genwunners and all that crap. Pokemon is an amazing series that I just love to death. I love almost every Pokemon, every story, everything. I almost don't understand the hate. Some of the people in this thread have given logical critiques, like waning interest due to age, etc...but I'm a little skeptical why lawRAWR you don't like the fifth Generation. Personally I found it the best since first gen. Many call it the games that reinvented Pokemon, or at least reinvigorated it. So why is it you don't like it?

19. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The only games of the past generation I didn't like were BW, but GF greatly improved on them in BW2 so I have no real beef with those games. So Gen VI is looking pretty nice and seems to have a lot of features I'd enjoy like Pokemon-Amie.

20. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I like Gen V, and BW2 are my favourite games of the new generation. I'm not disappointed with Gen VI so far, though X/Y isn't leaving much of an impression on me yet (I'm finding it a bit tacky but I can only make a final verdict once I've played it.)

Also want to mention, I found HeartGold/SoulSilver to be the best renditions of the originals, and I wish Nintendo would do the same with Blue/Yellow.

It's a bit hard for some to remove nostalgia goggles, which leaves biased opinions, but I'm far more satisfied with the newer gens as opposed to Gen I, though each Gen has their gems.. and not so great pokemon..