1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from Alaska!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Lassa, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Lassa

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone. My name is Jessica and I hail from the great frozen north. I used to have a profile on here years ago and have since forgotten all the information, so I am starting over. I am 28 years old, 29 later this year. I have a son who is 3 1/2 and with me during the summers. My life is an interesting one and always has been. I identify as a gay female. I have nothing wrong with the word lesbian I just like the word gay better. :slight_smile: I am 100% out to everyone. I was never really ever in the closet, but I did try to be bisexual for a LONG time thinking that it would make life easier. It didn't. I ended up in some bad relationships, but int he end I have accepted myself and love myself for who I am. A proud gay women. I am currently single and happily so. I know someday the right women will came into my life, but for now I am just fine discovering more about who I am alone. I live with a wonderful roommate who helps keep me sane. Really, he's just as crazy as I am. :grin: Got laid off from my job last month and have been trying to get my feet back on the ground. It prompted me to return to school though and I will be attending the University of Alaska Fairbanks in the fall again to finish my phlebotomy license. I'm really excited about going back. I'm really big into science, biology, microbiology, and virology mostly. I greatly enjoy biomed as well. I read all the time and always have a book on me. I enjoy Doctor Who and many other TV shows and movies are always a good thing. My roommate has recently introduced me to Game of Thrones so we watch a couple of episodes of that every night when he gets home from work. I get to walk with the PFLAG group in my town soon when they ahve a float in the Golden Days parade at the end of the month. After the parade is the pride BBQ/picnic. I'm quite excited because it's been a few years since I walked with them and my dad said he might walk with me. My family has always been a huge supporter of mine. They have always loved me no matter what and my dad is an open ally. He's just never been involved in PFLAG before but I think he's getting more interested in it. It may sound like my experience being gay has been a positive one, and for the most part it has been. But I've gone through some really tough times and was seriously bullied back in high school. I'm glad to be back and I hope I can help people out who have been in some tough times or share in some good ones with people.

2. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Welcome Jessica, I could do with a blast of cold air from Alaska as it's been around 30C in the UK !

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome to EC!!

4. Gibson85

welcome Jessica. Im Ryan :slight_smile: nice meeting you

5. Candace

Hello Jessica! It's a pleasure to meet you. Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

I went to Alaska when I was 10 years old and I LOVED IT (Denali was my favorite place) :grin:
    How do you survive those harsh winters and a sun that never sets? You Alaskans amaze me.

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi there :welcome: to EC :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

7. Lassa

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Harsh winters can be tough to get through. We just stay busy and have sun lamps in a lot of buildings. Schools have them installed too. I don't mind the 40-50 below weather and total darkness for over a month. I think if I did I wouldn't live here! Having a sun that never sets int he summer is wonderful. Yes I miss the stars and the Aurora, which we can see MANY nights/days during the winter, but we can do so much outside and much later. You don't need flashlights or candles during blackouts (we get a lot of rain here) and you people who hunt can do so day or night. (I'm vegan so I don't hunt. lol)

Alaskans are pretty amazing, albeit crazy sometimes, people.

8. gavguy

gavguy Guest

It does sound a wonderful place, but then again would you say that about somewhere hot ?

9. Lassa

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I would die if I tried living somewhere hot. lol We had a heat wave last month and hit 90. It was horrible. We don't have ceiling fans in homes here or even AC in many homes. I was melting. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. AKTodd

Hi Jessica from another Alaskan :smilewave

I was born and raised in AK, although after many adventures I've been calling Virginia home for the last 16yrs or so.

I'm actually in AK now visiting my family (not so very far from you actually) and filling some downtime by visiting EC. Flying back to the Lower 48 on Saturday and its back to work on Monday. These trips always go so fast...

Anyway, nice to meet ya and hope to see you around.

Todd:thumbsup:

11. ashtonishing

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning