1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have to be in love with someone to know your gay?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Elle546, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Elle546

Out Status:
    Some people
    If I posted this in the wrong place I'm sorry. I haven't manage to go on this site often so I'm still fairly new to it. just wanted to ask as this question has popped in my head from time to time.

I'm pretty sure I'm gay or at least bi. It has taken me from during high school to figure it out and during that time I had crushes on both boys and girls. During high school I know that when my friends were calling a lot of boys fit, I would look at them and couldn't see what they saw. I've only been out with one guy and no girls (one I don't have a crush on anyone at the moment and two I don't exactly know to ask a girl out anyhow) but I do feel like I'm attracted to girls more than guys. The reason I broke up my boyfriend was because thoughts of my sexual oritenation wouldn't go away - which I had convince my high school girl would once I've actually dated. Also I did have a crush on one of my friends but I was too shy to tell her.

At the moment I don't have a crush or am in love with anyone. And a lot of the time if you read stories, fanfics, or watch films or vids on youtube about being gay, coming out etc, most of the time the person is in love with someone and that's how they know.

So is that the only way you know for sure? Or do you just know regardless if you fancy anyone at the current time or not?

2. Landion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew that I was gay long before having a crush on anyone. I would drive down the road and see a good looking guy and stare. I would watch TV and see certain actors and was attracted to them. It was probably a year or two after realizing that I was gay before I had my first crush on someone at school.

3. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think can know if you are gay without the love part if you are sexually attracted to some celebrity of the same gender.

4. Wells

Wells Guest

Not really. If you get attracted to other girls, but not fall in love with, thats the strongest sign you'll get. I do't think you're entirely lesbian though. You might just be more attracted to girls than boys. I'm more attracted to boys than girls, but I dont know if I like them enough to call me gay

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi there :welcome: to EC :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

6. fluffyhandcuff

If heterosexual people know that they're straight without falling in love, why shouldn't gay people know that they're gay without falling in love?

7. Elle546

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks all these messages were very helpful :grin:

8. misssunshine91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have the same issue as you have and I am quite sure that you can be gay without being in love with someone...
    I don't have a crush on anyone either, but I'm pretty pretty sure that I am gay... Sometimes you just know, there's not need to meet someone in particular you immediately fall in love with to know you're gay (or straight or whatever).
    :slight_smile:

9. Elle546

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks ^^