1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to confess i'm not who i was

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Lana, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Lana

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey everyone! I used to call it jealousy, the way I felt about certain girls around me, but after a great deal of time I'm now able to acknowledge it's attraction. I'm just nervous to translate the personal thoughts I've kept to myself into something that my parents, friends, and family can understand. I've only ever been with guys, but feel like I should tell my loved ones about my sexuality before getting involved with a girl, opposed to after. I wrote a "coming out" poem, but not sure it's the best way to express/expose myself. Any of your thoughts or opinions would be GREATLY appreciated :slight_smile: I'm just confused as to what's best.

2. iHateThinking

Hey Lana, welcome to EC!

Good on ya for coming to accept yourself. That's always an important step to take. You'll definetly find someone here who can help you out with the coming out process, the people here are awesome. If you think it's an appropriate time to tell them, then (I think) you should. A coming out poem could be a good idea to show them without directly saying "Hey, I'm gay!", but it's not guaranteed they'll grasp it right away, unless the poem itself is written in a more blunt tone.

Have fun and enjoy the forum!

3. confeshhhions

Hello and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

I can't offer much advice on how to come out to your family as I'm in the same boat as you, but I can offer to listen and to talk if you want to :slight_smile:

4. MoyashiAlice

Hi Lana~
    Wow, we both live in Ontario, Canada. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I have come out to three people so far, and only once in person. (I'm have social anxiety so in person would be too awks for me really...) If you have trouble stating your sexuality in person, a note or poem should work. :slight_smile:

5. Lana

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks so much for your input everyone! It's good to know some of us are in the same situation, and I can't wait to continue to get to know such kind, amazing people (&&&)

6. Kaisoo

You should want to come out on any way you feel comfortable doing it, but remember: Time is your best friend☺ don't rush it!

Welcome to EC btw ♥:grin:

7. killersum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    coming out is the most difficult thing to do , the fear of how people will react to it . for now i can't even think of it.
    please go for it with maturity and taking your full time. don't rush at all.
    its a life decision.

8. GirlWhoWaited

Do things at your own pace. I know I am. :wink:

9. memyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I remember coming out to my friends was no problem at all. I was open to them pretty much from the first time I really thought about it.

My parents of the other hand.... I told my mom too early. I was still questioning it and figuring it out. I was mostly confident and understanding of who I was, but at that point, it had been less than a year that I started questioning my orientation. My mom had a very negative reaction to it and she told me it was just a phase and I was just doing it for attention and that I wasn't really gay and it really hurt me and even made me question if it was just a phase or I was doing it for attention.

If I could redo coming out, I would have waited. I would have spent some time dating guys and just spend time to understand myself. Also, I would've come out to my mom slower. I thought it would have been a good idea to just blurt it out really fast (it ended up being a horrible idea).

In the end, coming out to others does matter a little bit, but what really matters is coming out to yourself.