1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Bisexual Christian wanting to come out to my parents

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by byronea, Aug 29, 2013.

1. byronea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello! I am Byron. I am a 25 year old bisexual man. I am a Christian who's faith is very important to me. I attend a very open minded church- the Episcopal Church.

I am legally married, but my wife and I have been separated for about 3 months. No doubt that that is over from either side. I have 2 kids from a previous relationship, long before my wife and I met. I was actually able to accept myself as bisexual because my kids mom is bisexual, and I realized that I was when her and I were together.

I have been seeing this man for a couple months now. We are both interested in a relationship, but there are a couple things holding us back. One is that I have never dated a man before, and I am not sure I can be happy long term in a relationship with a man. So we both want me to be sure its what I want before we get in a relationship.

The second thing is my parents. They still think that I am straight. Everyone else in my life pretty much already knows that I am bisexual. I want to come out to my dad and stepmom before I get in a relationship with a man. I don't want to have to feel like I have to hide my boyfriend from my parents. I will start a topic on this later, but the main obstacle is that they are very religious and I am afraid they will disown me.

Well, thats me! Feel free to ask any questions! :slight_smile:

2. lukeluvznicki13

welcome to ec :slight_smile:
    and i know what you mean about being a christian and trying to come out to your family x.x

3. Stephany

I am also bi and married, however, my husband and I are still very much in love. I too am having hard time coming "out" to my parents, my dad is a pastor..so I feel you. Hopefully, your parents will focus on the love and not judging part of their beliefs. Keep us posted on how it goes.

4. I too am a God lover and a FEM lesbian so my coming out to mum was horrible! She is over it now and supportive of the gay buzz.

First of all I think you need to read the bible and seek within it the answers you need and do lots of praying! God always seems to give us the answers we need.

Keeping any sexual stuff on the back burner until marriage is a fabulous thing, and I think this will cut out problems.

5. Californiacoast

Hello Byron! I too am a Christian and belong to a United Church of Christ, here in California. I would STRONGLY encourage you to go on Amazon and order the book, "TORN: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gay versus Christian Debate" by author Justin Lee. This book was published last year and is the best book I have ever seen for those of us in the LGBT community that don't won't to throw out our faith, just because we are coming to terms with our sexuality. I believe in reading the book you will find some great talking points to discuss when/if you come out to your parents. You might even want to just give them a copy of the book, if that is easier.

I was very direct with my folks who grew up conservative southern Baptist in Mississippi. I said "Mom, Dad, I am Gay" and waited for the long pause. I wish I had read this book first.

6. Great to see another God Lover online! What were you parents reaction & why do you wish you read this book before coming out to them?

7. Feijoa

Welcome Byron!

Taking your time is a good thing and it's a good sign your bloke is supportive.

8. wittyusername

Hello and welcome to EC! :smilewave

9. lostman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC.. I struggle too ... as I am Christian as well ... but it is great that you already have people that accept you the way you and support you.

All the best and keep us posted.