1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by teaneko, Oct 13, 2013.

1. teaneko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello.

I just joined and got here, after looking for a place like this where I could post and get a sort of community-like experience while I work up the courage to get involved in real-life social situations.
    I'm a graduate student currently, from America living in the UK for a year, and after spending several years fighting with who I am I think I'm finally ready to accept it and learn how to function within that acceptance. Where I am from there was no support and I didn't feel quite safe or able to be who I am, and for that reason I am wary and a bit afraid to do so now. Yet, I feel like I'm old enough and I'm no longer quite so hateful toward and against myself that I can continue on this journey toward accepting myself and finding some confidence about it. So, hopefully by talking and meeting other people here who are in similar or have been in similar situations I can grow and become more confident and happy about this.
    I always thought that being gay happened to other people, and I was seriously bullied and mistreated growing up, so I was afraid to be more different and "abnormal". Thankfully I'm starting to learn that it's not wrong and it's OK, but I have told very, very few people and am certainly not ready to tell my family, though I know they will support me. I think they will be surprised since I don't "act" or dress like a lesbian as far as stereotypes go. I want to be accepting of myself and fully know who I am before sharing it with them.
    I feel like I'm a bit old to be starting this process, though I know there's no such thing. I feel like I've missed out on certain experiences because I was afraid or didn't have the appropriate outlet or opportunity to experience them, so I'm looking forward to seeing if this works and what will come from it.
    I am also trying to find ways to become involved with LGBT groups at my university, but I feel better starting out behind a computer screen where I can escape it I find myself faltering or feeling out of control. I have been depressed these last few years and am finally coming out of it. SO I think this is the time to challenge myself and seek new horizons! I'm glad to have found a place I can maybe do this surrounded by others like myself that is safe and where I won't be judged or made to feel insecure or wrong.

-teaneko

2. lovely lesbian

Hey welcome xx

3. sarasjenska

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Welcome and I am glad you have accepted who you are :wink:

4. Sky547

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay