1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New guy

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by noahb1996, Oct 28, 2013.

1. noahb1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! My name is Noah. I am bisexual and have been out to my parents and my two best friends (guys) for six months. I am not what you would call a stereotypical gay kid. The reason why I joined this post is because I have a big problem. I have now come out three times now: once to my friends, once to my parents (both on the same day), and the third time I will talk about later. The minute I came out I was immediately flung into the worst depression of my life. It lasted a week and a half, and I've never felt so crappy mentally ever. Everything went ok, everyone was very accepting, but I felt like someone close to me had died, and I have no idea why.
    Fast forward to last week. I finally decide I have the strength to come out publicly. By that, I mean I'm not going to make any big announcements or anything, but I will tell people the truth if they ask. The true reason behind this is that I liked a boy (whom I've gotten over). Well, today in study I was discussing a gay friend with two other friends, and eventually it ended up with one of them asking if I was gay. I answered truthfully. I immediately had an anxiety attack that lasted for a few hours, but I kept my cool and continued the conversation. He acted cool about it and simply said "I didn't know that about you" and changed the topic. Later, that anxiety turned into depression. I don't know why I feel this way. Nobody else has a problem with it. What is wrong with me?

2. lovely lesbian

3. noahb1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  4. noceur

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Noah, I'm Ryann. I'm pansexual and have been out to my parents and four closest friends for about a year now. I do not believe anything is wrong with you per say, I just believe that you may be psyching yourself out about someone secretly or openly not accepting you. I say this because when I came out to my best friend, I was extremely scared and began having a panic attack (hyperventilation, crying, the whole nine yards). Luckily, she just said "oh that's cool, tell me when you have a crush, I'll help you out :wink:" and then went to ask me for our French homework. I was more than worried and began suffering from depression (bad, very very bad depression) so I believe this may be what is happening to you.
    If you ever want/need to talk, feel free to come to me. I got your back :slight_smile:

5. Mikeperson3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi! I'm new here too. Hmm. Maybe you should talk to him? This could be a case of simply dreading change and how some peoples views of you will change.

6. noahb1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the support Ryann! It's good to know I have a friend on here who understands. It is honestly making me feel better already.

---------- Post added 28th Oct 2013 at 05:50 PM ----------

Hi Mike! I'm too afraid to talk to him. I kinda wish this never happened. The issue is, I have study again with him tomorrow.

7. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First of all welcome to EC!

Second of all, it sounds that your nervous and possibly scared, because there are ignorant people out their who will look down on you and say you evil and going to hell and all of that other nonsense. It's important to realize that any people that you come across that have such an ignorant mentality are just bullies, and aren't worth yours or anyone else's time. Luckily, your family and friends aren't like that. They don't see it as a big deal, because it's not. One day people are going to realize that sexuality is no bigger of a deal then skin color, wardrobe choices, or hair style. So relax, and enjoy the fact that the people around you like you for you.

I would imagine that what your going through is fairly common. My mom use to be against it, and said that she would prey for me if she ever found out that I was gay. Luckily I brought her back to reality and when I finally did tell her, she was perfectly fine with it and supports me fully like she has with everything I do. She's still religious unfortunately, but now she doesn't believe in negative religious nonsense, and she is finally able to think for herself and is questioning what she reads in the bible all the time. (Im so proud of the progress she's made with that. After all, I always have been able to sway people and open their minds easily. :icon_bigg)

Just be yourself and stop worrying about what other people think, and you will be fine. The people who don't like the fact that your gay aren't worth your time. By the way, it was nice meeting you. :smilewave

8. Mikeperson3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hm. Maybe just wait for him to bring it up, and if he doesn't, he probably doesn't think it's a huge deal. Is he a close friend?

9. SilentCreatures

Perhaps you are still coming to terms with it. I know that I had a feeling of guilt each time I first mentioned it to people. It will pass in time - and hopefully you'll look back and smile on these memories.

Welcome to EC

10. noahb1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks a lot, ShadowSpirit. That helped. And Mike, we used to be close, but now we really only talk in school. But you're right. I shouldn't worry about it, and if he doesn't bring it up, then all the better. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 28th Oct 2013 at 06:03 PM ----------

Thanks SilentCreatures. I'm still in high school, so I hope things will change. I feel like this is something I need to do to get over my insecurities.

11. Mr Bubbles

Hi, welcome to E.C.! I don't think anything is wrong with you. I know that when decide to come out, I'll probably have a massive anxiety attack as well.

12. GayNerd

Hi Noah! :slight_smile:

Have you considered telling your parents or teacher about this? They could help you. But for now, just don't care what other people think about you. Also, just calm down and be yourself. I'm always here if you want/need to talk. :wink:

13. noahb1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks guys! All the support is awesome!

14. mascguyslife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Noah. Welcome to EC. It's cool you told them the truth and didn't hide it. When I was your age I was still confused but always said that I was either straight or bisexual. I found out that there are straight acting guys who are also into guys. Made me feel good. It takes time to get comfortable when you tell somebody you are gay. It will all get better. You are doing a good thing. Need any support we are all here for you man.

15. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Noah,

The 'feeling bad' is quite common I think and I also think it will ease off with time. It is likely to do with 'revealing the secret' and expecting either fireworks or something bad to happen - and yet nothing much happens - so its a complete anti-climax. After years of conditioning from internalised homophobia there is a certain 'fear of disclosure' that goes with it and makes it more intense .. but, as I say, I think you will find it will improve the more you do it and the older you get!!

16. NiceNerd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Welcome Noah!

17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  18. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Noah,

It always feels like there's an elephant in the room after the conversation where you come out is over (I really hate that metaphor but it works here). Often it goes away in time, but sometimes you do need to address it. Sometimes I can't stand waiting for things to work--I want closure NOW--but time can be your friend here. As am I and all of us on EC. We're here for you.

19. noahb1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you everyone! And bingostring, your explanation made the most sense to me. Thank you. Half the battle is understanding what I'm feeling.

20. toushirojaylee

Hi and welcome to EC!