1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here to figure out the rest of my life

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Adam1212, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Adam1212

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello. I just joined after realizing today that I need to figure out the direction for the rest of my life, however long that may be. After a decades-long struggle to figure myself out, I'm finally in a place to start doing that. I've just recently accepted that I really am gay, even though I've known this in my heart since I was a teenager. Nothing like taking 35 years to figure something out.

Long story short - In college, I came out to a few close friends, but I never really wanted to accept it. I was about ready to accept my sexuality at age 28, when I met a woman (who I actually knew as a child). We hit it off, had a lot of fun, and eventually got married. After we had 2 kids, my wife's health started to gradually deteriorate. Without going into all the details, she passed away very suddenly 2 years ago. She did find out about my sexuality before she passed away and this put a cloud over our marriage during the last couple of years before she died. My kids are now 12 (boy) and 10 (girl).

I'm kind of scared about the future, and that's why I'm here.

2. lovely lesbian

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Adam, And welcome to EC.

I think you will find EC a very supportive place to be and lots of 'life experience' from other members to draw on. Especially in the "later in life" section.

So sorry to hear about your wife. That must be so difficult for all of you.(*hug*)

4. English Frenchman

Sir,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the website. I could not begin to imagine what you have gone through. When one tends to think of courage and selflessness, we imagine great Herculean acts. But what you did goes beyond that. I don’t need to explain your own situation to you, so I’ll leave it at that.
    This is a website where, hopefully, you will find all that you’re looking for. Many have come here, looking for validation, for a safe place, for guidance, and a few other reasons. Many have found what they came looking for. Hopefully, you will to.

If one does not fear the future, that is because he only looks to the past. You are brave man for coming out at your age, with young children. Bravo.
    Once again, welcome to the website.

5. toushirojaylee

Hi and welcome to EC Adam!

6. Lunarchy

Everyone always says "I'm too old to start life," but your never too old, (Unless of course, your 126, then you a little late to the party) but you are only 49, still relatively young! Don't fear the future, it might look like an intimidating mass of uncertainty, it only comes one second at a time! Also hello and welcome to EC ^)^

7. Adam1212

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks all! I'm feeling welcomed already! I sense that I will get a lot of good advice here as I begin this journey.

8. XingSarangBi

XingSarangBi Guest

Sorry for your loss... If it took you that amount of time then you must have given it a lot of thought...I wouldn't think it would be crazy or unreasonable to act on your conclusion... stay strong!

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Adam1212 and welcome to EC!

I'm sorry to hear about your wife.

Check out our Later in Life section, you'll find plenty of us folks in more or less the same situation as you!

10. Antoinette

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you for your honest story and welcome. I am so sorry for your loss, I find your efforts to move forward and be yourself very admirable.