1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Realizations

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Scottsdale, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Scottsdale

Scottsdale Guest

I am a 56-year old male. When I was about 5 or 6, I was watching professional boxers on television, and I recall being absolutely fascinated with the fact they were shirtless. As I became older, say around 10-11, I began to develop an intense curiosity in what other guys would look like without a shirt, and on the occasions when I would find out, remember being excited and often pleasantly surprised. I never had that sort of curiosity with women, and frankly, seeing a woman topless does not do as much for me as seeing an attractive man without a shirt.

Perhaps the odd thing in all of this, is that I never associated my feelings and attractions with being gay or homosexual. I know it seems hard to believe, but surely, I am not the only person who went through this. Is it denial? Ignorance? Lack of experience?

Anyway, it was not until I was in my mid-40's that I finally accepted the fact that I find men sexually attractive and that while I can certainly recognize an attractive woman, I am not overly concerned about it. If that makes me gay or homosexual, I guess I am, but I still do not think of myself that way.

I have not "come out" to others, for several reasons. I am not engaged in a sexual relationship with a man, and if I "came out," people would assume that I am, and that would create the wrong impression. I am a professional, and I move in a circle of friends where admitting such a thing would be a personal and professional disaster. I know that from discussing the issue hypothetically.

Further, given the mores of our society, a person who is discreet can enjoy a lot of scenery, without ever disclosing his true inclinations.

At age 56, I grew up in an era when admitting such a thing was unthinkable, so that probably has affected me, but I would be interested in having the thoughts of others on my situation.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome!

3. lukeluvznicki13

Welcome to EC! :grin: :smilewave (*hug*)

4. lovely lesbian

5. toushirojaylee

Hi and welcome to EC!