1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Howdo!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Tintagel, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Tintagel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello everyone. I'm just a guy that found this site very interesting for a number of reasons. I really like that this is a place for those in the closet to be themselves without fear of any backlash..

Though I am not in the closet, I would love to offer my advice to young guys around my age about having to deal with being in the closet, accepting themselves, and coming out. I really feel that I need to help those who aren't as in a fortunate position as I am (though I reserve the right to not get involved if it's a situation I feel uncomfortable with or don't approve of).

My own personal coming out story was rather anti-climactic. I first came to terms with my attraction to men when I was in eighth grade on a band trip to a theme park. At first, I was bisexual. I believe it was this way because I still wasn't ready to completely disavow myself from my pseudo-heterosexual past.

I first came out to my step grandmother, which was rather easy. She was one of those that always knew. Next was my mother, which was markedly far scarier. Again, it was very easy. My step father, however, was a bit less understanding and it took him a very long time to finally accept me for who I was.

School was about the same. At first, I just told some people (as a secret) and then one of them decided to spread. When confronted with that, I just said 'Yeah, is there a problem' to which no one tried to provoke me further.

I have faced some homophobic things before, but not a lot, really. My whole experience has been rather easy despite some of the other stories I've heard before.

However, that doesn't mean I don't know what people are going through. The biggest battle with my orientation I had was with myself and finally accepting that I only like men, to which I have a lot of advice for.

Sorry for that long winded introduction :icon_redf

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! I'm glad to see you've found acceptance and are willing to share your stories. I'm always up for a chat if you want to drop me a wall post.

3. Tintagel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks! I noticed that you're from Kentucky which is where I'm originally from :slight_smile:

4. freeskies

Hi!!! a warm welcome to EC! It was nice to read your coming out story. Hopefully we get to hear more from you :slight_smile:

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No way! I'm originally from the West Coast. Moved here in 2011 for school and fell completely in love!

6. Scarlet V

Out Status:
    Some people
    hello! Welcome to EC! :grin:

7. Clown

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome!
    I understand the homophobic issues you've faced; I'm pretty sure most of us have either experienced it or are quite aware of what they can include.
    But generally, from what you've said about your family, I'm happy to hear that they've accepted you for you. And the same goes for yourself. Self-identifying is a hard concept for people. I've been in that boat and I definitely respect you for being able to do that.

8. lovely lesbian

9. Seraph

"... Is there a problem?" Lol You know what? You're a cool guy, keep it up brave man.
    And welcome to EC, it's great for you to be here, you can spread the positive thinking to the young guys in this forum (there are a lot of cases involving suicidal thoughts, 'pretty sure whatever story that you have would keep those thoughts away :grin:)
    'Glad to have you here Tintagel :slight_smile: !

10. My Two Wings

Oh, man, that's great. :grin: Anyways, welcome to EC, Tintagel!

11. Silver Sparrow

Welcome to EC!

12. william123

13. Tintagel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the welcomes!

14. toushirojaylee

Hi and welcome to EC!