1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Nervous Introduction

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Mathnskating, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Mathnskating

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :smilewave

I'm MathnSkating, and am 23. I'm currently not a student, though I am working toward finishing my bachelor's degree. Or will be once I start back up at a university. For now I tutor kids. I want to get my degrees in Math and Physics, eventually.

I guess I fall in the questioning category. I've questioned on and off for... A while. This is the furthest I've gotten in questioning my sexual orientation. Even writing that was difficult. This year has been a lot about learning about myself and finding my own voice. I suppose this is a natural extension of that. My father identifies as gay, my mother is straight. They are not together anymore, and neither remarried.

I've never brought up my questioning to anyone, even my father. He and I do not have a relationship such that I could ask for advice. Or anything. My mother has mixed feelings about homosexuality, given her experience with my father and the very messy divorce. I joined so that I can explore my thoughts in a safe place. Hopefully get some advice from people more experienced, and get some of my thoughts ironed out.

Anecdote: I wrote "straightened out" instead of "ironed out" and realized the incredible irony in it and changed it. :thumbsup: Also I really like emoticons. Like. A lot. I apologize for that in advance.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :welcome: to EC. You came to the right place to voice your thoughts.

4. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :smilewave

5. Silver Sparrow

Welcome to EC!

6. Hopefilled

None of us live forever- there's more risk in not letting our parents know us "as is" than there is of living in shadows.

Shortens up to your doing the risk/reward math on either or both parents sharing your self-discoveries. Parents are supposed to love us unconditionally and us them in return.

I can see your mother having honest traumas over a divorce quite apart from your father's "any thing" involved with it. You are you and all you can do is let hem know who that is. Even if it takes you finding yourself as part of it, or before it.

BEST wishes on all going smoothly.

7. toushirojaylee

Hi and welcome to EC!

8. LadyApp

Welcome!! Congrats on your math and physics.