1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey.. New here :)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by aloveforlyrics, Dec 28, 2013.

1. aloveforlyrics

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi! I'm obviously new to this so I'm just gonna briefly introduce myself.

I'm a 21 year old single female who had literally told a couple of people that I am gay. Those people took it well, however I no longer have contact with them due to our lives all taking different paths.

When I came out to these people, I struggled immensely. In fact, my attempt was basically me starting a sentence and then someone else trying to fill in the blanks. Once that experience had happened I managed to scare the life out of myself when it came to thinking about how to tell my parents.

Every time I feel like I can do it, I get too nervous and walk away resulting in me feeling somewhat similar to this :bang:

I've always had boyfriends and that is all anyone really knows about me. Some say it's easier to tell them once I can introduce a girlfriend but others say that it makes it more difficult for parents to comprehend this way.

Sorry I babbled a bit, I tend to do that :/ Would appreciate any advice anyone had to offer

Thanks, aloveforlyrics

2. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, welcome to E.C. No, you didn't babble at all, your fine. (*hug*) There are a lot of resources here that you can use to help you in coming out to your parents.

What are your parents like? Are they highly conservative or real religious? Have they ever said anything to give you an indication of how they feel in general about gays and lesbians?

3. LadyApp

It is always easier when you know how you are, what you want and don't about pleasing anyone else but yourself just being a loving and honorable human being. So whenever you feel comfortable it will happen and you will see it was worth it.
    Welcome!

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. aloveforlyrics

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi :slight_smile:

Thank you for the reassurance on the babble front :grin:

It's a hard one with my parents and their views. My dad has always expressed a distaste for any homosexual behaviour but mainly towards men rather than women. He is unfortunately one of those who think that because a woman has short hair, she must be gay. He says a lot of things that easily place his as being homophobic however he then has moments where it's almost like he's telling me he knows and that it'll be ok. As you can see, very confusing mixed messages!

My mum is slightly different. She loves gay men simply for the stereotype that they are overly camp, love shopping etc etc. Gay women however, she's not so keen on. She once told me that she would have loved to have had a gay son but is glad her daughters aren't "that way".

A lot of people have advised me to not bother saying anything to them at all, but sometimes I find myself almost slipping up in general conversations with them when they are nagging me about why I still don't have a boyfriend, or when I talk about the future and have to use non-gender specific terms or force myself to remember to say "he" instead of "she".

(tell me now that I don't babble, right? lol)

6. lovely lesbian

7. aloveforlyrics

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi!

8. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Still not babbling. And if you know you're gay, just tell them when it's comfortable.
    Also, you could be the one who makes your dad more aware about gay people. :slight_smile:

Anyway, welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

9. aloveforlyrics

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you for your reply :slight_smile:

I totally get what you mean about making my dad more aware and it makes a lot of sense, I guess it's just a scary thing all round for everyone but we all have to do it at some point or risk them finding out a different way. I mean, I don't actually tell anyone else but obviously I can't date and move on with my life in fear that somehow that information is going to be passed along the grapevine and somehow result in my parents finding out.

Thanks for the lovely welcome <3

10. Dragon2200

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have had an account, but this will be my very first post. I don't care to much for forums, but I would like to open up to a few of them. I am a little worried about what will happen if my parents and other family members find out about me. But If you email me, and ask me questions bout myself, I won't mind opening up. This is awkward introduction, but my life revolves around awkwardness. But if anyone thinks they can understand my situation, than please email me, so I can talk to you.