1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A nervous hello

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Gia K, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Gia K

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, hey there! My name is Gia, I am 19 years old and loner, a leftist, a vegetarian, a bookworm, a big time dreamer and other things I don't want to bore anyone with :icon_bigg.

I have a quite good relationship with my parents, but I could only envision myself coming out to them about being attracted to women in the eventuality of me being finiancially independent (considering I'm still living with them due to the fact that I haven't found a job yet also maybe because none of us are still ready for me, the only child, to "leave the nest" so to speak, what can I say, judge me if you want). I'm not neccessarily afraid of being insulted or pushed away by them, but rather of them not understanding and dimissing it as something they can't wrap their mind around or "just a phase". They're not exactly homophobic, per se, it's simply just that they really cannot understand it (hopefully, this is only temporary) and they come from a time when such things were not spoken of.
    However, one thing I know for sure is that they love me, a lot, and I don't think they would enstrange me if I ever told them. But our family is in a rough place finiancially right now, we are striving to make things work and pay some debts that we have...

I honestly am not sure why exactly I decided to join this forum to begin with, maybe it was just this tiny need in me for some interaction with other people like me or wishing for some understading, finding a friendly place and people to talk to since I am in a kind of a bad state of mind right know. I just hope I didn't bore you and what can I say, maybe I can make a friend or two. I don't know..

Anyway, best wishes!:smilewave

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome Gia!

I understand how you feel. I was also an only child, and I stayed with my parents while going through college. It was a big mistake because I had virtually no social life (besides visiting relatives) and couldn't make many long-term friends. Definitely financial independence will be good no matter when you decide to come out.

This forum is whatever you want to make out of it. You can just browse, interact, even use the anonymous forum if you're really shy.

3. Gia K

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for the warm welcome, resu, I appreciate it a lot.

I see the similiraty between our situations and you are right, I agree that once I achieve financial independence it will change the circumstances for me coming out. Hopefully, they will see me as still their beloved child, but at the same time an individual standing on their own. To be honest with you, about the social life issue, I must admit that being anti-social is something quite in my nature, so it doesn't really bother me, as I said, I'm more of a loner, introvert, I prefer the company of books, music, films, animals, hobbies over people, but then again, that's just me. I have one friend that I see from time to time, and that's pretty much it.

Thank you so much again *hug*

4. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Gia!

Welcome to EC! Tight hugs for you! :slight_smile:

First of all, don't be nervous. LOL. I am a newbie as well and I am finding that this site is a safe cyber avenue for people who are facing similar challenges like we do.

If you and your family is going through something right now and you think you are not yet mentally, emotionally and financially ready to tell them...then you take as much time as you need. I know it seems difficult [and it probably is] but everything will fall into place for you. You are still young, you still have years and decades of awesomeness ahead and that is something to look forward to. In the meantime, try to interact with people from this site as much as you can. Maybe these people [including myself] will be a good source of online strength and support for you!

Cheers!
    Cigsmoker [Sam]

5. Gia K

Out Status:
    Some people
    Aww, thank you, Sam! Big hugs for you too!

You speak wisely, giving it time I think is the best solution right now. I am going to postpone telling them until things start looking up and hopefully fall into place, it would just be too much for them considering the circumstances we are in right now, not to mention, we're all a bit tense in dealing with this money issue and, overall, it would just be a wrong moment. As soon as I feel the bad times have passed, I will start making plans about confessing myself to them. I can only wish for them to be receptive.

I certainly hope to have the chance of interacting a lot with the folk around here, and I also hope to be able to provide support and understanding for anyone if needed.

Best wishes!:slight_smile:

6. OnWisconsin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Welcome Gia!

Hope you find everything you are looking for in this awesome community! (I'm a newbie too) I find that it helps me realize I am not alone in this struggle, as I don't know of too many gays in my life. ***HUGZ!***

7. Gia K

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you, and many hugs to you too, OnWisconsin!

It is indeed a very pleasing feeling to know that we really aren't alone in our struggle, it makes you feel less alienated by knowing that there others like you and they're brave and they are confronting themselves with similar situations. Oh, and I don't know any gay person in real life either except for a friend I used to have who claimed to be bisexual, last time I spoke to her she had a boyfriend tough. But I am sure however, that every small town such as the one I live in has its own share of gay people, the problem is, I guess, that the smaller the community is, the most difficult it gets to come out.

8. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC :slight_smile: Dw, you didn't bore us.
    We've all got time for each other here.

Glad to have you in the family. See you around. ^_^

9. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, dear. Just take as much time as you need. You should be in your strongest [and most fabulous, LOL] state of being when you tell them because if they start to act differently, probably because of the initial shock, you will be able to handle it. But I am deeply hoping that they will be okay with it. They HAVE to be okay with it because from what I can sense from how you reply to your messages, they have an amazing daughter and they should be super proud of that! :slight_smile:

I'm sure you will find a lot of people who will help you, guide you and even profoundly mentor you should you need it. And I am also certain that with your intelligence and your level of emotional quotient, you will also be able to provide the support and understanding for younger individuals. After all, it is right and just to give back as much as we can.

Cheers to us being fabulous! Yeah, I love that word, blame it on Samantha Jones haha!

Cigsmoker [Sam]

10. Gia K

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you a lot for the welcome, TJ. Sure see you around :slight_smile:.

Sam, you are just too lovely. Your kind words went straight to my heart, thank you so much, you sound like such a wonderful person. The shock will surely be there, but I strongly hope come we will be able to overcome it, as a family. I will be definitely making sure to be in my most *fabulous* state when I decide to have the talk to them, I promise you that! lol

I've only been here for a few hours, and I have already noticed people to be extremly nice and welcoming, and it is indeed the right thing to do, as you pointed out, to give back the support we receive as much as we can, and I think this is one of the most beautiful things about this community.

Why yes, cheers to us being super fabulous! I love that word also, as far as I'm concerned, however, it always reminds me of the character Emmett Honeycutt from the tv series "Queer as folk" (don't know if you've watched it), I couldn't help but read it in his voice lol.

11. lovely lesbian

12. Gia K

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello there!:smilewave

13. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I am so glad my words touched you. I really do. That actually made my day. Its fascinating how such words can affect two people even if they're continents apart! The universe is weirdly awesome in that way, right?
    Now I cannot wait for you to have that talk with your family. I really want to know how it will turn out, promise you will keep us posted on that in the future. :slight_smile:

I have seen a few episodes of QAF here in Manila but I have never gone around to really watching the series. Its weird but I really, really, really love The L-Word [the original series]. I live in the Philippines and there's no one I know who has seen it.

And thank you so much for telling me that I am a wonderful person. I deeply appreciate that, really! Can you please give me that in writing so I can forward it to the guys who dumped me? Hahaha kidding! (!)

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2014 at 04:41 PM ----------

Oh, I am so glad my words touched you. I really do. That actually made my day. Its fascinating how such words can affect two people even if they're continents apart! The universe is weirdly awesome in that way, right?
    Now I cannot wait for you to have that talk with your family. I really want to know how it will turn out, promise you will keep us posted on that in the future. :slight_smile:

I have seen a few episodes of QAF here in Manila but I have never gone around to really watching the series. Its weird but I really, really, really love The L-Word [the original series]. I live in the Philippines and there's no one I know who has seen it.

And thank you so much for telling me that I am a wonderful person. I deeply appreciate that, really! Can you please give me that in writing so I can forward it to the guys who dumped me? Hahaha kidding! (!)

14. Gia K

Out Status:
    Some people
    It is, isn't it? Simply by writing a few words and putting some soul into it, you can actually warm someone's heart even if they're miles away. Oh, I always had the best opinion about the universe, lovely, absolutely lovely place/entity whatever, it's just that some people that inhabit a certain planet within it that I have a problem with lol.

Well, I promise you now then, that you guys will be the first persons on the internet to receive the news on how the events of me coming out have unfolded (jeez, I sound like the news guy lol), but you also fave to promise to make me cake! JK :lol:

I highly recommend watching Queer as folk, it has both terrific writing and acting, not to mention some awesome cinematography. It's one of those shows that make you truly invest emotionally in the characters and root for them, and well, it's also very graphic and heavy on content, but then again, that's how I like my tv shows anyway :icon_bigg. I've actually started watching The L Word, I'm still on first season and I love, love it!

Awww, you know, if I actually could, I would do it right away, I even have some post-its near by lol, talk about coincidence. I suggest you forget about those guys anyway, "Those who don't have are the ones who don't deserve me", ever heard of that? I bet your fabulous self can make plenty of guys fall for you, don't put yourself down. :kiss:

15. Gia K

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, FireSmoke!:slight_smile:

16. Welcome to EC Gia. :slight_smile:

I know exactly how you feel as I'm going through something similar. I can tell you from personal experience that these forums do help. We're a bunch of friendly people on here so if you ever have any questions or concerns don't be shy. :slight_smile:

17. Gia K

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you a lot, Justin! :slight_smile:

I don't if wether to tell you I'm sorry for going through a similar experience with mine or to feel a bit glad that I can relate to someone that much lol. I've only been here for a short time, and yes, people are very friendly and lovely here, thanks so much!

18. Mysz

Many welcomes to EC! Maybe you've already got the message that you're very welcome here, but one more can't hurt!
    Another vegetarian and book lover, whoo! It's so easy to lose yourself in a read, and so easy to get up and realize you've been reading for hours and it's now dark outside =D
    Perhaps you yourself are unsure of why you joined, but dropping by, reading posts, and making posts with help you loosen up and make decisions on how you're going to approach closet issues. Whenever I was unsure of something, reading other people's experiences or asking for advice on my own never failed to help me. I'm certain you will have a good time here.

19. Gia K

Out Status:
    Some people
    Aww, thank you so much, Mysz, I honestly appreciate every single reply of welcome, you guys are simply amazing and make me smile from ear to ear!

Yay, it appears I've found someone with whom I have more things in common! Lovely! Bookworms for the win, hell yeah! Btw, regarding the losing yourself in a read feeling, I'm totally with you on that, I sometimes am under the impression that books are some sort of their own entity judgying by the way they manage to suck you in and let go of the notion of time and everything else that sometimes you even forget to pee lol (happened to me).

Everyone is very helpful and understanding around here, it really makes you feel like you're among friends, I am definitely going to have a wonderful time. Thanks a lot! <3