1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello! I'm only one-foot out of the closet, if you will...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by tanya, Jan 29, 2014.

1. tanya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi all,

I am out to a few of my closest friends and my sister. But not my parents. And interestingly, I'm the vice-president of my grad school's queer student organization--so obviously I'm very out in school. But the thing is, I'm in school far far away from all my previous friends and family...so it's sort of like two worlds I live in.

Then there's a third world: my partner is genderqueer (MAB but identifies as neither male nor female nor trans) and very very in the closet. Let's call my partner Pat. Pat still looks like a guy, and doesn't do anything to disabuse their parents, friends, etc of the notion that they're a guy. But they don't identify as a guy, and we don't do heteronormative things (outside of bedroom nor :***:slight_smile:.

But it's still feeling very off... even after 3 years of being best friends and so so so close... the more out of the closet I get, the more likely I am to feel like I should
    a) be with a woman, since I'm finally becoming willing to admit it publically
    b) be with someone who is out of the closet
    c) and yet I still want to be with Pat because they've been next to me through all the ups and downs of coming out and haven't ever made me feel bad about it...and they're great for 1000 other reasons... so why do I feel so strongly about a) and b)???

Okay long intro, but it's all out there!
    Thanks!
    Tanya

2. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Tanya! Welcome to Empty Closets! No worries about the long intro, I liked reading your post.

From what I can make out of it, I think you need/want to do more exploring of your sexuality just to make sure what you really are or want. But at the same time, you still want to hold on to your partner because of all the things you have been through together. Its kind of tricky, if you ask me, and I know it can be somewhat difficult and confusing not only for you but for Pat as well. How does he feel about all this? Have you talked to him about your inner-struggles? Maybe talking about openly might help ease the confusion a little bit then just go from there. Maybe just like you, he wants to explore as well.

Just my suggestion. I don't know if this will help you but I am here to listen/read just in case you want to talk about it some more.

Cheer up!
    Cigsmoker [Sam]

3. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Welcome to EC, Tanya! It's nice to meet you.

That's a tough situation. Have you talked to Pat about how you feel? If you two are that close, then this sounds like something you should sit down with him and discuss before deciding whether to go your separate ways, or stay together.

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Tanya. Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:
    Agreed with Cig - sounds like you're wanting to explore the sexuality through the sex that you find attractive.
    But naturally, you'd feel bad leaving Pat, so that's always a tough situation to get through.
    Like ShadowSpirit said, I'd consider talking to them about it.

Anyway, see you around. :slight_smile:

5. BiPenguin

Hi Tanya and welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

6. LovelyBunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome Tanya!

7. tanya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi, Cigsmoker! Thanks so much for this thoughtful reply! :smilewave Also ShadowSpririt26 and TJ, I think this reply applies to your helpful suggestions as well (thanks!!) :icon_bigg

I wanted to address your questions--and yes, you hit the nail right on the head (I do want to explore my sexuality, but I also don't want to lose what Pat and I have together).

But yes, we have talked about it--actually right after I wrote that post! So thank you for the advice, I think it was sound. However one of the biggest problems has been that while Pat is super super supportive of me, they don't really want to explore themselves at all. And how do I encourage them to explore? I think at the end of the day, I would be happier with Pat if they expressed their more feminine side....but they're super in the closet, so alas I'm stuck feeling like I'm with a guy when we're in public. So it's not very affirming for me, I guess? And I hate that they are trapped and when we talk about their gender identity, they get really upset about the prospect of sharing it publically with even their closest friends. That fear is wrenching and I feel for Pat. But I also don't like staying in the closet with them... :confused:

Thanks again for your reply! We can discuss more on my wall or something if this is getting to in-depth for the welcome lounge!

#7 tanya, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014