1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Thomas565, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Thomas565

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So i'm new and its all still a little odd.
    My name is Tom, i'm still very much in the questioning stage but i know I'm at least not 100% straight. I am a graphic design major in college but looking into animation a 3D computer sculpt as well.

My sexuality has never been at the forefront of my mind with so many other things to look at in my life. I went to catholic school for 17 years of my life until college, so the idea of LGBT was just not taught or thought about all that much. Growing up i was bullied not for my sexuality but for my weight, i was a big kid and when your nickname is your scale number looking for a romance was not on my mind. What being a loner (not always by choice) did was it allowed me to develop my skill in art its was the one thing that made me happy. i was for lack of better terms forced into football in high school at 6 foot 3 coaches wanted me on the team. I don't regret it i lost weight learned how to better take care of my body and was able to fight bullies. It was not until freshman year of college that i had lost most of my weight and was happy with my shape. Now in college i wanted something more i saw my older brother getting more involved with his GF (soon to be wife) and i wanted something like that but when i looked at girls i just kinda felt ... nothing but friendship. I could talk to them better then most guys but, it was never romantic. I gossip, I joke, I debate, but nothing ever turned me on about them.

This confused me but it was just never something i looked deep enough into. Well until last year, I was diagnosed with cancer treated by the best doctors in the world and now I am cancer free but in that time i got to have a deep long look at myself who i was the product of "be a man" "toughen up" I had to fight bullies, wall myself off from emotions don't let them get to you, but, when you see death look you in the face even for a short minute you see a lot of stuff you did not think about and one was why don't i feel that connection with women. Now it was not like i got out of the O.R. ready to accept that but as time went on i started doing research and after the thought of "well, what if i'm gay" popped into my head it got me to see the world a little differently things i did and looked at made a lot more sense. I started to notice that all these things guys say about girls i felt about guys sure i did "like" girls but when your raised a certain way and a girl gave me the time of day in middle school and high school i thought yep this is love but looking back i was just glad someone was actually talking to me out side of my group of nerds. i'm still not 100% willing to accept it but it makes sense

On a more "hello" topic I'm also a gamer currently QA testing games under contract that I'm not aloud to talk about:icon_wink. I'm into all things nerdy from MMO's to D&D. I'm a through and through Jersey boy (sorry) and at the core of it all i like to think i'm a little down to earth. Can't wait to try and find out more about my sexuality and who i am and hopefully you can help me on that path.

2. Beantown

Beantown Guest

Welcome to EC, I hope you enjoy your time here and I hope you find out more about your sexuality with the help of people here. I feel kinda heinous about how they use to tease your weight since I use to make the other cheerleaders feel fat (although they weren't, I just did it to motivate them to work harder) but I'm glad that you eventually worked through that cause they might have as well? Also good luck with your major.

3. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Hi Tom! Nice to meet you and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

4. Thomas565

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you both, Rainbow don't feel bad for what others did to me, because i don't and don't put blame on yourself for errors in judgment looking back it made me who i am for better and worse

5. King

Welcome to the site.

There aren't too many judgemental people here so you should be fine, don't be afraid to express yourself.

6. ThePhoenix

Hello, congrats on beating cancer and hopefully by my signature you can tell I'm a gamer as well, I am going into something similar to graphic design myself, anyway Welcome EC!

7. Nikky DoUrden

:O

QA a game?! how awesome can that be?!?!?! do u get paid? I fear to say I would QA a game for minimum salary, it just sounds so fun :grin:
    And I like nerdy stuff like D&D too!!! so hello there and ... welcome to EC!!

8. Movens

This might be radical , but a bit of bullying can often work in a positive way , eg , I was a loner at school in 1st year and got bullied by some kid. Lets just say after a small incident behind the pool he didn't bother me again and I was popular :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: hope it wasn't to bad for you though.

Welcome along , hope I didn't casuse offence

9. Thomas565

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    yeah QA is fun, unfortunately i do not get paid but it puts me in touch with Developers and opens doors for me out of college plus most of the devs buy me games and that's what i would end up spending the money on so it works out.
    And pheniox a fellow Graphic Designer how many types of type faces have you memorized? has it driven you crazy yet :wink:

10. ThePhoenix

Having to take a class just on typography yes but to be honest my memory isn't exactly the best there was so much to learn and cram I'm still soaking it in haha but yeah its driven me crazy and I'm a bit rusty as well.