1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi looking for parents of teenage gay boys to chat

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by NL Mom, Feb 21, 2014.

1. NL Mom

My child is 14 and has just come out. I just need a support system to chat to.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome to EC.

Because of the nature of our community, we've got strict security provisions that don't allow off-site contact or access to our chat room until members have 50+ posts and have been here for two weeks.

However, as you've already discovered, our forums are great places to get input and advice from everyone in the community. You can also post in the "parents and family" section where we have some parents. The addition of the "parents and friends" section is relatively new so we don't have as many parents as we'd like to see... but it's slowly growing. We also have a number of older LGBT members, who hang out mostly in the "later in life" forum, and many of them have children, so you may find some useful insights from them as well.

I can also highly recommend PFLAG. They have chapters pretty much everywhere, and are a wonderful resource for parents looking to understand and deal with the unique issues that come with raising an LGBT child.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I second what chip said. But also whilst most of us here aren't parents if you have questions we might be able to give you some ideas on your sons point of view or how he is feeling. Members here are always willing to answer questions or worries so feel free to post.

Your son is very lucky to have a parent like you.

4. Wildclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I just wanted to echo SilverHalo's comments - your son is very lucky! I hope my parents are half as ready to look for support when I ultimately tell them and I'm a grown woman with children of my own!