1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend advice? (Suicide)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by KindaSad, Feb 27, 2014.

1. KindaSad

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi, I've been having a little bit of trouble with a particular friend I mine, and I was hoping some of you could help. I'll try to make this brief and only give you all the gist of it.

I've had this friend for about two years now. He's always been kinda depressed and bitter, and even mentioned suicidal thoughts before, but about a month ago I think he came really close. Of course, I was hysterical but I managed
    to call the suicide hotline, get him to hold out, and the next day got him to see a social worker who got him to a psychiatrist (who he still sees regularly). I talked to him at length about how it was his choice, I wasn't going to force him into anything, and he ended up telling me he was relieved and happy to start the process.

This friend of mine also has a blog. In fact, I learned of a lot of his suicidal thoughts through his blog. After this whole ordeal, he remade it and told me not to look at it or anything, but he kinda gave me the URL so it was hard not to. He wrote about how he felt forced into therapy and had re-posted a personal text message I'd sent him as if he'd written it. It was really upsetting.

Worst of all was how he treats his fans. He loves them and skypes with them and has inside jokes with them-- he treats them better than he treats me. Finally I saw this huge long post about how he was sobbing (he told me he hasn't cried since infancy) over how much he loves them and doesn't deserve them. And he's... Never cared for me like that.

Just now we texted a little. He retold me a story I'd heard from him a week ago and when I told him this he said "huh I don't remember that" and then I mentioned a really personal thing I told him THE DAY I CAME OUT TO MY SISTER which he completely forgot as well. It's as though he doesn't care about what I tell him, or worse, he has so many friends that my life and the things I've trusted him with are just immediately forgotten and mixed in with the rest.

I feel like he doesn't need/want me in his life anymore. I feel so used and sometimes I even get the sickening thought that his suicide attempt was just faked for his little internet friends... This whole thing makes me want to cry. I'm worried he'll try to kill himself if I try to get out of this friendship, plus I still really love him and want what's good for him...

What do I do? Am I being greedy? Am I over analyzing things? Tell me if I'm being an asshole about internet friendships and stuff-- I'm sorry if I am, I'm so sorry about all of the stupid things I've done shit shit shit

2. Gen

Gen

You did the best possible thing that you could have done. You assisted him in receiving help and made sure that he wasn't dealing with those issues, be they genuine or not, by himself; however, you can't save the world. I'm not advocating that you cut ties with him immediately, but I would put some distance between the two of you. Allow yourself to devote more time into other friendships just as he appears to be at the moment.

It doesn't mean that you two can't be friendly; I just wouldn't get too invested in a friendship that is clearly bringing negativity into your life. Unless communication is cut in a dramatic way, it shouldn't push him over the edge.