1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by the112, Mar 2, 2014.

1. the112

the112 Guest

I'm nearly 25, and I've only started coming to terms with my sexuality over the past year. I grew up (and still live in) a pretty backward community, where -- at least when I was in high school -- there was nothing worse than being gay. And so even though I recognized that I was attracted to men from my early teenage years, I completely rejected that part of myself and told myself any number of fictions to avoid it. (Some of them were pretty easily justifiable: I had nothing in common with the variety of effeminate/flamboyant stereotypes that get thrown around so frequently in popular culture, so I couldn't possibly be gay, right?).

I was in a miserable place for a very long time, and I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for people who fear rejection from their families. I came out to my parents almost a year ago, and I'm out to a few close friends. Everyone's been generally supportive, and I'm very thankful for them. That said, I still am terrified about the future and I know very, very few non-straight people I can talk about life with. So anyways, thanks in advance for being here. I'm looking forward to interacting more with you folks.

Dan

2. PinkieKeen

Welcome to E.C. :slight_smile: this is a very supportive and safe place. i do hope you enjoy it as much as i have. And if you ever need to talk, im sure any one of us would be glad to listen :slight_smile:

3. Yosia

Hewwoo!!! Welcome to EC ^^ there is lots of helping people here who help with many things! Hope you enjoy us \(^o^)/

4. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's exactly the way it was for me too, growing up. And I'm feminine looking, so I didn't fit some of the stereotypes either.

That is so great that everyone is generally supportive. I think that's the hardest part of coming out, what friends and family will think, not someone you don't know and care about yet. It is pretty hard to find non straight people in person sometimes, that's why the power of the Internet is so great. You discover that despite being in a minority, that you're not the only one who feels this way.

Welcome to E.C. (*hug*)

5. Perseus

Hello, welcome to EC

I'm here if you want to talk about anything :slight_smile: (*hug*)

6. Wildclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello! Welcome to the forums.

It's great that you have had a fairly positive response from those you've told so far. That team of support will help when you "go out into the world", so to speak. I also came to understand myself around the same age but I still struggle with accepting myself let alone writing about what others will think. :slight_smile:

Glad you find us here and keep posting!

7. Amazo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hey buddy... welcome, hehe lucky you, supportive family is always awesome (*hug*)

8. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

9. Molgera

Welcome to EC! :slight_smile: I hope you enjoy your time on here.

10. setnyx

hi and welcome, i didn't have your generally supportive family and friends, what does it feel like? lol! i also didn't have any non- straight people to talk with till joining e.c. glad you're here.

11. ThePhoenix

Hello and welcome to EC!

12. lovely lesbian