1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Everybody. Its good to be here!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Soapstone, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Soapstone

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Guys. I’m 22 and have known that I was gay since I was about 13-14. Coming to terms with it has been difficult and only in the past three years I have gradually been coming out to a select group of people, including some of my closest friends, my parents and others. Most reactions have been rather positive though my dad does still seems to be in denial about it (although he would never admit to that). Overall, it has been a slow but accelerating process.

With regards to myself: I was born in Germany and lived there until I was 15 after which I moved to the UK with my parents where I finished school and went to Uni. That and my parents travelling a lot with me created a passion in me for other cultures and their differences as well as journeying around the globe. I think travelling can be one of the most rewarding experiences life has to offer. Other than that I like to play Rugby and Badminton, love to cook good food with friends, and recently got interested in stone sculpting. Friends and Family are a cornerstone of my life and are the most important thing to me. I believe that most things which are worth having on this planet (whether these are interpersonal/emotional skills, relationships, artistic expression or others) do not come easy and often require hard work and persistence to acquire them. Most of the time its worth it though. Lastly, occasional change is important to me to keep life interesting and colourful (whether that’s moving to a different city, switching jobs, or travelling to a different destination).

What I do struggle with at the moment is to get into the general gay scene (I live in London so there is a huge one right around the corner). I have been heavily overweight for a long time (started since the age of 12 and was a consequence of bullying and derision of my classmates at that time among other things) and am ashamed of that. I fear that large parts of the gay community will reject me for this reason not only in terms of romantic relationships but just generally (the thought of which particularly hurts). I know that that is most likely not true and that it is a warped view which has been built up by stereotypes, articles on this issue, previous experiences of rejection, and potentially the adult entertainment industry. One reason why I am here is to get some advice, comments and feedback from the community here so that I can get a realistic overview of what I can expect. I am not looking for pity nor advice about losing weight but just a realistic assessment. For me, its kinda a reality check and an important one for that matter because if I can readjust this warped view, it would make a lot of things easier.

Either way, from what I have seen this is a very kind and safe forum and I am looking forward to be a part of it.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Soapstone, welcome to EC!

I have a few soapstone sculptures from the time I spent in the arctic with the Inuit, I thought you chose an interesting nickname, can you tell me what made you choose it?

Finding people is never easy, and we are all so desperate to be "good enough" to be attractive by the ephemeral standards of the day. The combination of that and the superficial aspect of dating, especially online dating, will make it more difficult for you, there is no denying that. In that sense, you may need to find ways to let people get to know you over time.

It will also depend on the kind of person who would be attracted to you (and there will be!). You will need to find someone who is empathetic, kind and who can see past the merely physical. It's a matter of luck, but also a matter of discernment on your part.

Stick around with us here, I am sure you will get many insights into the world of gay dating. I wish you the best of luck!

3. Ravi-VIXX777

Hello there!!!

You sound like a great person. I wanted to explore the world, but money is not on my side at the moment. Anyways, don't get discouraged about your weight! There's enough love for everyone on this planet! I plan on losing weight after this cold.

I will say that finding the right man isn't finding one at all. Start by loving and accepting yourself first. If there's something you don't like about yourself, change it! Not for the affirmation of others, but for yourself. You'll find someone! (*hug*)

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

5. Silver Sparrow

Welcome to EC!

6. Soapstone

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey greatwhale,

Thank you very much for your insightful and helpful comments. You are right in that it is going to be more difficult for me although that should not stop me from trying. I guess one "advantage" in my position is that finding someone who can see past the mere physical will imply that this people will have a remarkable or at least an interesting character.

To answer your question about my Nickname: I recently got interested in stone sculpting and Soapstone is the material I have used primarily since I started though I have been experimenting with Alabaster and Pyrophyllite. Overall I prefer Soapstone because it is easy to carve and the entire process, from a raw block of stone to a polished sculpture, has a certain symbolism to it. A raw block looks pretty mundane but once you sand it down and start to polish it, it reveals an unexpected beauty and unique patterns. In this particular sense, I see an analogy between Soapstone and human beings because the process of building any kind of relationship, be it a romantic relationship, a friendship or even an acquaintance is comparable. In my experience, most people have something beautiful and unique within them which is revealed in the process of getting to know them (which sometimes requires some effort too). Hence, I chose this Nickname.

7. King

Hi Soapstone,

I am also nervous and unsure around the whole gay community and gay bar areas and so on, perhaps your views will change over time.

As for trying to find a partner then it is difficult for gay people, but where you live there should be potential suitors. If they don't like you for your personality then they aren't worth bothering, and by the way you seem to have an excellent personality with all the sculpting going on.

I hope you enjoy your time here.

8. lameo

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Truly a captivating story, glad someone is coming to grips with things, welcome to EC :slight_smile: If you (or anyone reading this) needs someone to talk to, just send me a message. I like listening to people vent and giving my opinion if need be.