1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Ned B, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Ned B

Hi, there!

I'm Ned. Last year I finally completed 7 years of school, moved to Chicago, and got an amazing job in my field. It was also the year that I made the first big steps in coming out to others and the year that I met a really fantastic guy with whom I've shared the last 9 wonderful months. Right now, things seem to be really looking up.

I was born in the Midwest, and spent have most of my life here (aside from a six month stint in Washington, D.C.). I was raised in first a suburban, then rural town, each with conservative values and by equally conservative parents. I'm honestly not sure I knew what a gay person was until sometime in high school, and even then did not really understand what it meant to be gay. However, I had the impression that it was something bad.

I didn't truly become aware that I was attracted to guys until sometime in undergrad, as I was nearing 20. Though in retrospect it is fairly obvious that I swayed that way at least as early as 12, it just didn't register (probably because I was 1. intensely focused on school and extra curriculars and 2. under the impression that I was supposed to date girls). It's actually kind of strange looking back and realizing that there were at least two times where I was borderline dating other closeted guys (under the guise of a close friendship) without realizing it. Either way, I think I'm probably fortunate that I made it through grade school completely oblivious, sparring myself the horrors that some gay teens go through.

Unfortunately, college seemed like a pretty hostile place too. I went to a private technical school with a ridiculously disproportionate male/female population. Few gay people were out and those that were seemed to endure a fair amount of mocking. At least I didn't feel comfortable there. I consider those four years to be the low point of my life. I was depressed, spent some time in counseling, and lonely because I was afraid that my interest in art, theater, musicals, fashion, etc. were just not masculine enough for my classmates, and also for being largely unwilling to accept myself.

Then I enrolled in a graduate school and found my new class (and faculty) was a small, diverse, global, and most importantly highly supportive and accepting group of people. It was in this environment that I finally came out to myself, then one of my best friends, and then gradually other people. I found out that one of my good friends is also gay and we have been helping each other through the coming out and self acceptance process. I also allowed myself to start dating for the first time in my life, so now at 26 I am in my first ever relationship.

But I still have a ways to go. Other than a couple dozen friends who I've come out to or have met my boyfriend, I keep my private life mostly under wraps at work and in public. I am also still entirely closeted with my parents and other family members, which becomes more and more difficult to maintain as my relationship becomes more serious. I love my family very much, and want to be close to them, and it pains me that I have lied to them all this time. But I am looking forward to making more positive steps in the upcoming year.

(I think I intended to write a simple, short, introductory paragraph. Hopefully this wasn't too much.)

2. Gen

Gen

Welcome to EC! (^_^)

I wouldn't consider it to be too much of an introduction; just a bit thorough.

3. StartANewLifE

Welcome to EC! :grin:

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

5. Yosia

Välkommen!!! \(^o^)/