1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, I'm new here.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Levi, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Levi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi there,

I'm new here. I just joined this evening. I found this forum, searching for gay forums. There seems to be some really nice people here.

I'm a 34 year old, gay male from New York. I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you. I have been out since 16 years age. Mainly what I'm looking for is just friends really. I have a boyfriend. We have been together eight years, and plan on getting married soon.

I also have a story I feel needs to be told. It could probably help someone. I'm not sure what topic to really share it under. Maybe someone here can give me some assistance.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

2. Gen

Gen

Welcome to EC! (^_^)^

3. deejay

Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC! Warm wishes on your planned marriage. Hoping to hear more of you soon... =)

4. lovely lesbian

5. MiAngel

Hello and welcome to the EC family. :slight_smile:

6. lchristopher13

Welcome to EC :slight_smile: I'd love to hear this story you speak of.

7. CosmicNautilus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, you :grin: Welcome! Congrats so much on the engagement, (and I most agree, the people here are fabulous, aren't they?) :grin:

8. Levi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks everyone for welcoming me.

I was googling "bullying in schools because of sexual orientation" and found this:

Schools would be required to track anti-gay bullying under new federal proposal | EdSource Today

I, myself was bullied continuously throughout school, especially high school because of my sexual orientation. I wasn't only bullied by other students, but teachers and the VP of the school. They went along with the students. I'm not pointing out every teacher, accusing them of bullying. However, some of the teachers I encountered in high school did bully gay students. I attendant high school in a very small, closed minded town. It wasn't in New York, but when I lived in Tennessee. I'm not saying all people from there are homophobic, but back in the early 90's within this town, many were. My mother and I battled the school system.
    I can't tell you how many times I was called harsh and insulting words, such as "Fa-got, Queer, Sodomite, Blasphemer, Demonic, Pansy, etc" Every word you could possibly think of, that a homophobic could think up. Not only did I have to endure verbal abuse, but also physical, emotional, mental and even spiritual abuse. I dropped out of high school as a result of the hate I had to endure. In 2004, I got my GED, and took some college courses.

I can't tell you how many times I was called harsh and insulting words, such as "Fa-got, Queer, Sodomite, Blasphemer, Demonic, Pansy, etc" Every word you could possibly think of, that a homophobic could think up. Not only did I have to endure verbal abuse, but also physical, emotional, mental and even spiritual abuse.

I later on got my GED, and took some college courses.

The type of bullying, harassment, humiliation and attacks I encountered was brutal! Of course I have forgave, but will never forget. I believe that every person deserves to be treated equally, no matter the sexual orientation, race or gender. Everyone should be treated like human beings, nothing less, nothing more.

I think what really hit a nerve with me, is the surprise, even until this day, 6 out 10 kids are still bullied because of sexual orientation. I believe I endured what I did back then for a reason, and that's to help others. I have a Psychology Degree, and now working on getting my RN. I want to go into Psychiatry and help others who have been insulted because of sexual orientation, race, etc. I really can't complain without doing something about it, so I'm making an effort.

For many years, I let it settle to the bottom. However, when I read this, and thought about what I had to anticipate in, it really resonated with me.

I have also started a petition to support Anti-gay bullying: If a student at any school is bullied because of sexual orientation, the bully is to be suspended from school grounds for an amount of time. If a student is bullied because one or both parents are gay, then the bully should be suspended from school grounds for an amount of time.

People can call it forceful, but to me, bullying is even more coercive within itself.

I don't know if I can link the petition to a thread within the forum, or how that works. I could also type out my story, but it's very long and disturbing.

I believe while the door is open for us gays, we should raise awareness that kids are still bullied today. Also, people are still bullied on the workforce because of sexual orientation. To say this type of discrimination doesn't happen today, is just folly.

Where would I share my story on this forum? Under what topic? I believe that parents that come here would also benefit from my story. When kids tell their parents that they are being bullied by students, teachers -- they are not looking for attention. They are enduring hatred. Again, I endured bullying from not only students, but teachers, even the VP of the school, and it was turned around in front of my mother, to make it appear like I was the one causing the bullying (My sexual orientation). When I was not!

Anyway, I don't want to appear that I'm hear just to complain, because I'm not. :slight_smile: I just thought I would share a topic, that I'm working very hard on -- to stop discrimination against gays within the school system.

Thank you for listening. :slight_smile: