1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by HotPeppers, Mar 19, 2014.

1. HotPeppers

Hello everyone,

I am trying this site at the suggestion of a member who tells me it is a t-inclusive LGBT site. I am trans*, but I have a bit of a complicated story that prevents terms like mtf or ftm from working very well for me.

Coming out for me was a disaster. I lost my entire family as well as my career. I've gone from a six figure salary to food stamps.

But because of this, I spend a lot of time working with trans* communities and supportive LGBT organizations to try and improve things. I am a lawyer, so I have represented trans* people on legal issues and continue to do so when I am able. I wear many hats in this community and I've been involved in many things. Some of my past and present projects outside of the courts include:
    (1) Working with a coalition of federal LGBT employee affinity groups to advocate for the federal government to include its trans* employees in their health insurance coverage;
    (2) Working to pass a statewide ban in on discrimination based on gender identity here in Maryland and helping to build the current 50+ org coalition leading that charge; and
    (3) Trying to bring people together to build a more unified community that fights among itself less.

I am the co-founder and current head of an organization called Maryland Trans*Unity. We seek to both provide safe space for trans* people and break the isolation of trans* people p together all the huge variety of identities in a space where they all are welcome and so too are even cispeople. As a result of this, we have had even cisgender people say that they have never before experienced such a welcoming feeling as they get when they come to our programs.

I could go on, but enough about my resume . . . The point is that I am looking to both give and receive honesty and support. I hope I can be of help here. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 07:55 PM ----------

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the most important thing! I grow hot peppers! How could I forget that?

I actually have about 40+ items on my grow list for the year. But hot peppers are probably my favorites to grow. Habaneros being my favorite of my favorites!

2. oh my god I

Hi hotpeppers and welcome to EC!!! :slight_smile:Hope that you like it here.

That is awesome that you grow so much. I want to finally try planting some things this season before the bugs come out. There is a gorgeous white peony that grows in our yard each year and I just wish it could live there all season. It must take so much work to grow 40 different things.

3. ChocolateCookie

Welcome! :slight_smile: You sound like a really cool person :wow: :grin:

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! Whoever recommended the site to you was bang on the money, this site is one of the most trans-inclusive places I've ever found myself on!

If you're comfortable discussing it, I would love to know what this 'complicated story' of yours is. If not, no worries, just curious!

5. HotPeppers

You know, there are parts of it that I don't fully understand myself yet. Part of what brings me here is the fact that I'd like to find a place that makes me feel safe to share the parts I've got a grasp on and talk through and figure out the ones I'm still pondering. But I'm here because another site really let me down on that and other fronts. And a lot of what started me trying to build a more unified, inclusive community was the result of my being attacked by trans* people because of my identity and expression. So I'm kind of skittish about it and I'd like to see that this space can be trusted before I open that door . . . .

The one part of it that does tend to come out is that most people have only one round of HRT. Whereas in my case, I've taken both testosterone and estrogen. That comes out because of how frequently discussions about hormones come up in trans* spaces. In those discussions, honesty compels me to admit that hormones affect me very differently and much more quickly than most people. So . . . for anyone very knowledgeable about these things, I guess it narrows the possibilities down to only a few.

6. wolfxinxchains

welcome to EC! That's really awesome that you garden! I can't garden at all really. but I planted potatoes once. does that count :grin:

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well in all the time I've been here I've found nothing but acceptance from people no matter what people have come out with, so hopefully you will find the same is true for you :slight_smile:

8. HotPeppers

Of course potatoes count! I haven't grown them though since I was little.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 11:38 PM ----------

Hope so! Got to admit the post you put on my wall has me a little bit alarmed. When I wrote my first post, I certainly didn't think I was violating anything. But I'm also a well enough known activist in the local area that I'm used to people knowing exactly who I am based on what I say because it's what I always say everywhere. So concealing my identity tends to be kind of a futile endeavor anyway and I don't give it out, but I also don't think as much about how to hide it as maybe I should for purposes if this site. So I decided I'd try and edit the post as you suggested, only to discover I can't figure out how to do that!

Getting banned for my very first post certainly wouldn't be a good start on that whole feeling comfortable and safe thing . . . So I guess we'll just have to see.

9. wolfxinxchains

we made raised beds for 5-7, 12 ft long rows for the potatoes so that really sucks because I was sore for the rest of the weekend.

10. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ask one of the mods to remove it for you. You can make a thread and ask them here.

11. HotPeppers

My emotionally adopted mother and I are growing in a community garden plot this year. And when we first went out to see it, we were amazed by just how covered in weeds it was. It looked like it was abandoned and unused in at least a year or two. So we are having to do a lot of work to get it in good shape. Lots and lots of work.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 11:48 PM ----------

Thanks. I'll ask them about it.

12. Gee wbu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello, welcome and much respect :grin:

13. deejay

Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC! You seem like a very interesting person. I wish I personally people like you. Anyway, for sure you'll feel safe here. This is the first ever forum I've found for LGBT and ever since I felt really safe in here. And though communication are just online, it made me feel as if somebody is physically there to support me on my issues. Well, hope to see more of you in EC. For sure you'll be a big contributor here. =)

14. lovely lesbian

15. White Knight

Welcome to the EC.

You have very inspiring life story... at least for me.

Hugs.

16. Tongue Flicker

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Welcome aboard! :grin: