1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello there, people!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Sigrid, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Sigrid

So, I'm always really awkward when it comes to introductions, but I'm gonna try my best.

My name is Sigrid, and I'm a 16 years old girl from Norway. Somewhere around 8th or 9th grade I started thinking of myself as bisexual, and then in 10th grade I read about pansexuality. During 10th grade, as I matured and took the time to consider my sexual orientation, I started identifying more and more with the term, and by the end of the year I was 100% sure that I am indeed pansexual.

I guess the fact that I don't even remember when I stopped identifying as straight proves that it never really troubled me. This is partly because of my own attitude towards homosexuality etc., and partly because Norway in general is very accepting when it comes to these things.

Still, during 10th grade the only people I told about my sexual orientation were my closest friends. Not because I was ashamed or insecure, but simply because a) No one asked me, b) I didn't really see the point of coming out to people who didn't actually care, and c) the act of "coming out" suggests that being gay is a big deal, which I don't really agree with.

Anyway, I found this site while doing some research for an English project I'm doing at school. We're doing a 10 minute presentation of a subject of our own choice, and I want to do a presentation on gender identity. So in addition to simply wanting to join this site because it seems like fun, I also hope to learn a thing or two while I'm here.

And I suppose I should also say something about what I like to do? Well, one of my biggest interests is art, especially drawing. Other than that I like reading and obsessing over tv-series. Somewhere along the line I've also become really interested in the many aspects of sexuality. Seriously, I can spend hours reading factual texts about fetishes. The same goes for anything that has to do with sexual orientation, gender identity and such. I just find it so incredibly interesting!

And with that, I conclude my introduction. Wow, this post ended up way longer than planned...

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Hi and welcome to EC!!!:slight_smile:

3. lovely lesbian

4. ElvenDragon

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi and welcome!

5. 101DeadRoses

Hello there! Welcome to empty closets!

6. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Hi Sigrid and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

7. wonderwhy

Welcome to EC :slight_smile:

8. Agaetis Byrjun

Hey there and welcome! I appreciate your views about being out, that completely makes sense. I tend to have a similar attitude too, but in my small town I feel insecure about people assuming I'm straight, does that ever feel like a problem to you?

9. Sigrid

Hmm... Well, as of today, I think my whole class (and my friends from outside of school) know I'm not straight. I started in a new school last year (in Norway everyone starts in a new school in 11th grade), so there was a lot of getting to know each other and such. Like I said, I don't think it's a big deal, so I just sort of mentioned my sexual orientation whenever it seemed relevant to the conversation.

When it comes to my family, I haven't really felt the need to tell them I'm pan, but I'm not doing anything to give them the impression that I'm straight either. My mom actually came and asked me a few months ago if I liked guys, and so I just told her that I'm bisexual (I didn't really feel like explaining the concept of pansexuality to her). I'll do the same if anyone else in my family asks me, but if they don't I suppose I'll just tell them if/when it becomes relevant. That is, if I start seeing someone who is not male.

However, I think this is very individual, and while I don't really care what people think about me, to some people it might matter a lot if people mistake them for straight.

10. deejay

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi there! Welcome to EC... I applause your views and opinions about coming out and gender classification... I can tell that your a smart person... Hoping to get to know you better... Have fun in here...

11. dontpanicmiki

Hey there and welcome! I'm brand new here too! Haha

I feel the same way about coming out. Why is it anyone's business? You know? People don't "have" to tell you they're straight, why do I "have" to tell you I'm pansexual, you know? Haha but most people I know do know. I have told them that I have no gender preference or they've found out and probably just assume I'm lesbian or bisexual because they've heard me mention a past girlfriend.

12. Sigrid

Thank you, deejay, you seem like a lovely person! c:

Excactly! You don't see people "confessing" to being straight, so why should it have to be like that the other way around? I really don't think there's anything to confess. People act like it's som big secret that they have to come clean about, when in reality, it's not. Honestly, I don't care what people think of my sexual orientation. I'm sure some people still think I'm straight, but why does it matter? It's not like I'm planning to date them, anyway cx

Oh, and welcome to you too! Haha, let's be new together C: