1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello All!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by MSLibertarian, Apr 9, 2014.

1. MSLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Everyone!
    I am new to the site and I feel like this is the best place to get some support/advice.
    My name is Randy and I recently came out, but only to my closest friends who luckily support me. I’m 22 and live in the Deep South, I’m talking southern Mississippi. I’ve only recently, I guess, considered myself gay. I had thought myself straight for most of my life, but I’ve been attracted to men secretly for a few years. You see, as I am sure most people know, the area in which I live is incredibly conservative and anti-gay. I had a not so nice childhood and a psychologically abusive stepfather and every day until I moved out was filled with my parents arguing and screaming. Even though my stepsister is a lesbian I know for a fact that my parents dislike homosexuality. The past 2 years of my life have kind of been rather tumultuous, what with me moving out and going back to college. It’s in this period that I’ve really ‘become myself’, in fact I feel like I wouldn’t even know who I was if me from 3 or 4 years ago met my current self. It’s been a confusing time, but I do accept who I am.
    The thing is, I haven’t dated a guy before…there aren’t but maybe 6 gay guys who I immediately know of in my hometown. I’m soon to be moving to a larger town an hour or so away to go to University by this autumn, and maybe there will actually be guys to date there.
    I just wanna know what you guys think and maybe if you guys could give some advice on finding someone. I’m seriously wanting something long-term, I’m not wanting something hookup-y or short-term.

I know this has questions, but i'm new and really would like to get it out of the way!

2. deejay

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello! Welcome to EC!!! I am nowhere nearby your place but I bet a lot of people here will be able to help you... Otherwise, consider you have a friend in me, just far away from where you are (may have sounded like a song already)... Nevertheless, have fun and enjoy EC Forums!!! :wink:

3. lovely lesbian

4. Caleb2001

:smilewave Hey and Welcome from another Son of the South!

5. LostAndAffraid

Hey, welcome to the community

6. Butterfly72

Hi and welcome. Moving to a larger town sure will help. Could you find out now if there are any groups in this new town? Maybe get to know them now so once you move there you will already feel you have friends there.

7. Naesr68

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know what you're feeling. I was that way when I came out. My hometown was not a very gay-friendly place. I was lonely and looked everywhere for someone to talk to. Like you, a larger city seemed logical, and it was. I met many wonderful people and formed some fantastic friendships that survive to this day. (&&&) Also, the longer I was out, the more people I found from my hometown that are also gay...and continue to discover more of them to this day.

8. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:
    If it's not very LGBT+ friendly, perhaps you could relocate? :slight_smile: