1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello :)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by snazzybrat, Apr 17, 2014.

1. snazzybrat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Snazzybrat here; a totally random username I thought of. By gods, I almost typed in my usual username, but then I realised that I use that username for EVERYTHING, and my friends would find it... and I would be forced come out against my will.

Phew, lucky I didn't! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I've come here because I'm uncomfortable with talking about my homosexuality. I don't know why I am, I just am! I'm not uncomfortable with being gay personally. I accept it. I like men. I've known this since I was twelve. I fully embraced it when I was 13 or 14, and since then I've fought I battle with myself. Not a battle of acceptance- that had already passed- but a battle with my false exterior I have hidden myself within. This is very hard to explain, but I'll try my best.

Where to begin? I start by saying that I also have a high functioning autism, or so I was diagnosed with when I was 16. I still question if that is the right part of the spectrum I belong to, or somewhere else. I mean, growing up, I was certainly not high functioning. Mind you, I could read, I could write, communicate (to some degree :dry:slight_smile: etc... what I couldn't do is function. xD. As you can imagine, growing up was quite hard for me. I was bullied all throughout primary school, and none of my supposed friends were actually my friends at all. I would overload every single day and cry. Often it was because I'd lost my pen, or someone said something mean to me, or whatever. I was self-conscious and extremely socially awkward. I was desperate to have friends... I was even willing to lie to both myself and others to do so. Deep inside, I knew my "friends" weren't really my friends at all and that they were bullies. But I pretended they were. And so I followed them. And so I succumbed to peer pressure day after day. I won't get into this with too much details, but they would dare me to do some very socially unacceptable things just for a laugh.

Coming out of Primary School, I began to function better. I no longer cried so often and learned to function better as a whole. I'd stopped faking my interests. I guess you could say I started "being true to myself"... well, not fully. I mean there was still the friendship issue. My "best friend" was a total :***: ! I overcame that in grade 9 though (!) At around that time, I began to surround myself with people who actually accepted me and to this day they are still my friends. I no longer lie to myself. I've ALMOST stopped lying to others. I'm open about my opinions, my interests, my hobbies etc. The one thing I am extremely uncomfortable talking about is my homosexuality.

Dunno why, I just can't. I want to, more than anything else in the world, but I just cant begin the steps to do so. It's not because I fear being rejected, since most of my family are extremely accepting of homosexuality and most of my friends are too, I just can't. I try to explain it, but I fail to do so. I mean, in the four-five years i've been trying to come out, I've only told one person. That wasn't even in person, that was on facebook. I didn't even directly say, "I'm gay." I just hinted it out and let him guess. (Boy, he's thick though- it took him a while! :lol:slight_smile: He didn't seemed to care really, and our friendship never changed. We haven't spoken about since, and for some reason I am scared to bring it up again. Essentially, it doesn't feel like a victory any more for that reason. Today I came to the realization that, for me, talking to him about it would essentially be like coming out to him again :confused: I can imagine myself in the future, out of the closet to the entire world, and everybody already knowing about it. It's the prospect of initiating it that frightens me. Sometimes I feel that I fully understand myself... but then I try to tell someone I'm gay and I completely freeze up. I realise then... I don't... yet. :bang: :help:

Does any of this even make sense? I feel like I'm rambling. I guess I really needed to get some of my feelings out there and this has helped me to do so.

2. Caleb2001

Hey :smilewave Welcome to EC. There are a lot of people here and I bet some can offer advice. Everyone I have met here is really nice and try to help when asked.

3. lovely lesbian

4. Relzyrelz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    :smilewave hey there! Welcome! I'm also new here but I'll be glad to be your friend. :icon_bigg :smilewave

5. LostAndAffraid

Welcome, I haven't accepted my orientation for nearly as long as you and I've only told 2 people about mine so you know, it's not easy. Good luck though, accepting it enough to let everyone know.

6. finlandwrc

Hello welcome as Caleb has already says there are many friendly people here :slight_smile:

7. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome Snazzy. :slight_smile:

8. deejay

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! Welcome to EC!!! There are plenty of people here for advises so stick around... :wink:

9. lmwilliams

10. helperman

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Welcome to EC