1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My son just came out to me.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by mommad63, Apr 22, 2014.

1. mommad63

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm a mom with a son who just shared with me last week that he is gay. No surprise to me, I have known this in my heart since he was very young. As I saw him struggle, but not share his feelings, I wanted him to know that it would be ok. I am happy that he is now accepting his homosexuality and he is looking forward to using his college career to openly come out. He is a senior in high school and is not ready to share with his friends. I would appreciate any thoughts or advice on how I can best support him through this process

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome to EC!!

Hey - you sound like a great mom!!

You are already doing the right thing by being accepting and supporting and having open dialogue with your son. Don't underestimate the value of your acceptance - its 90% of what he needs right now.

You will get more advice, and see similar threads from parents under the parents section too!

3. porygon

Out Status:
    All but family
    I can tell you are a great parent just by you being here to support your son!

Just accept him for who he is, but don't make his sexuality what defines him.

There are plenty of LGBT* resources online and on EC for parents that want to help their children.

4. sandrew255

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey Mom!
    You sound as if you are doing a great job already!
    When I started the coming out process in about 1980 (!) I couldn't possibly have spoken to my mum about it, but at the same time I was desperate to share it with someone, and to meet other gay people.
    Is there a teen group locally you could encourage him to go to? Or a gay coffee bar or bookshop you could take him to? Everyone has different needs and fears. It will be nerve wracking for him, so your support will be invaluable to him. Alternatively, how about on here, or other online resources? As with all teenagers, non-intrusive support, encouragement and love is what I would suggest.
    It's an exciting time that will he will always remember as defining, so I think it's really cool that he will be able to share his discovery of a new world with you.

Good luck

5. Gooby94

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, you sound like a very understanding person! Fair play to you and keep up the good work. Just be there for him and always listen just let him know that you will be here for him no matter what. Just do what mums do best, you know what I mean! God bless :slight_smile:

6. Caleb2001

You sound like my mom and your son sounds as lucky as I am! Welcome to EC

7. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This !!!!! You are awesome too!(*hug*)

8. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    He's lucky to have a mum like you. :slight_smile:
    Welcome. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Silver Sparrow

First, Welcome to EC! You obviously care a lot about your son.
    Try not to pressure him into coming out to anyone, he will do that on his own time. Check out the "Parents and Family Members" Forum.
    Do you think he'd like to join EC?

10. helperman

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Welcome to EC...best advice I can give...and I know it sounds cliche, but love him and be there....that's the best gift you can give him right now.

11. RainbowMan

:welcome: to EC!

You sound like an absolutely wonderful Mom! You might get more relevant advice over in the For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People forum, but as others have said, the best thing that you can possibly do is be there for him and let him know about EC if he's interested. We have unusual security precautions here that ensure that it is a safe place for all to make themselves vulnerable and discuss whatever issues are on their mind.

Again :welcome: :slight_smile:

12. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Just let me hug you. It's so heartwarming :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome. You have already done so much for your son by being a loving and accepting parent -shame all parents don't react so positively. To have your support will mean the world to him and can only better your relationship with.

There are some recent threads on the parents and family members forum that you will find interesting and you may even wish to message some of the other parents who have joined.

14. lovely lesbian

15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are a great mother! I can understand his fear about coming out to his high school friends, but he might try coming out to his closest friends. That will make him more confident once he goes to college. In any case, most of the people I knew from high school who later came out did the same thing.

Encourage him to join a LGBT group; most colleges (and many high schools) will have an official organization. The goal is for him to get advice from people who are in various stages of being out (or not).

16. deejay

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi there! Welcome to EC... And you are really a great mom... Just try to be there for him and don't push him into coming all out but let him know that you'll support him... Coming out should be in his own terms, just guide him to the right path and he'll be okay...

17. me123

Welcome! it is so awesome that you joined to help with your son. Just awesome. I hope you find what you need here.

18. lmwilliams

Welcome! :slight_smile: Cheers to the great coming out story. You are a great mother!