1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello and thank you EC!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by doinitagain, May 30, 2014.

1. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all

I joined a couple of months ago and got some really helpful advice via a private chat with one of the admin guys.

I will post my story soon, but basically I became very tearful and upset after watching the YouTube video 'Coming out letter for Mom' by Iwantacceptance. The stupid thing is that I came out in 1985 when I was 20! I have been with my fantastic partner for 26 years and we had our civil partnership 8 years ago!

After watching the video I was compelled to write to my parents and tell them how is was for me growing up and how hard that evening was when I came out to them. I left the letter with them when I left to go home one evening.

I got a call a couple of days later and after a few words my mum burst into tears. My parents had no idea of course! I went straight over to see them and when I arrived dad was in the kitchen huddled over the sink in tears! He gave me a big hug and said, 'Sorry, I didn't understand' . I don't know what he didn't understand!

That was back in February. Since then I have been on a bit of a rollercoaster with me being very tearful and having to go and have a long chat with them about things. These were things like I wish that had had access to support forums (like this!) when I was growing up, and how much fear and loneliness it brought flooding back to me when reading the stories on here as they are exactly the emotions that I went through. Fear and loneliness that I must have buried so deep that it is only just coming out now.

But now, I am starting to feel so much more confident in myself. The positive comments from members are inspiring and so helpful.

I don't have contact with any gay people any more (apart from my wonderful Civil Partner), and I guess that I hadn't noticed how much the world has moved on in the past 30 years!

Thanks EC, you're are doing a fantasic job! I might even try to persuade the other half to go to London Pride this year!

2. lovely lesbian

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome and thank you for your wonderful story. EC is an amazing place simply because people like you are willing to share your stories and experiences so others dawn benefit.

I hope you'll stick around !

4. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, what a story!

Welcome, Doinit!

:slight_smile:

5. happydavid