1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Inspired Zebra, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Inspired Zebra

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's nice to meet you all. I've been browsing these forums for several weeks and I finally decided to make a profile.

I'm 19 years old and still completely "in the closet". I've been trying to come out for about a year now but I would panic and back off whenever a chance came that I didn't have completely planned out. I can't really explain the anxiety I feel when that happens... I guess my fear is that if I came out, I would lose the support of my family and my friends. If not only for being gay, but also because perhaps they would feel betrayed by my lying to them. I feel like I have an obligation to my family to not do this to them, they have given me a lot, including helping me go to college. As for my friends, i'm worried it would end our friendship or worse: them pretending to be okay with it.

During college orientation last year I attended an event where this guy talked and it sounded like he was in the same position I am. He said coming out completely changed his life for the better and that's what got me, the idea that i'm missing out on a lot. So overall on the positive side I think that if I came out then I could finally just be myself. I dunno what it is, I know that my sexuality is just one thing, but I just think that I would be sooo much happier/comfortable with myself if I did it. But my conscience says "doing this would hurt those around you, and benefit you. If you do this then you are selfish." I would like to think that this is just irrational fear. I need to somehow get over all these ideas.

A little bit about me: In grade school and much of middle school I would often go the entire day without saying a word to anyone. I'm a little better now though. As you might guess the friendships I do have took me many years to form. I guess you could say i'm still kinda shy, at least until I get to know someone. I'm not very good at talking about myself.

That's all I can think of to say for now. Sorry if it's wrong to post this here since it's an introduction, but I figured this would be best because i'm seeking advice.

Thank you for listening.

2. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Main fear you have right now is losing the support of family and friends, rejection.

I was actually forced to come out as someone outed me to my parents, when I told them I was gay they accepted me, I was expecting totally the opposite as I heard about all the negative stories about how people's homophobic parents disown their child and kicked them out of the house. That was my belief about coming out, but when I came out to my parents they accept me and that was a huge step in my life and I did feel like a lot of weight had been lifted from off my shoulders.

I think what you need to do is find out what your parents views about different aspects about the gay community, and see what they think, if you already know how your parents and friends react to gays in general then just need to be careful with what you say.

Try not to confess to a close friend about your sexuality because sometimes it could lead to other bad conflicts like blackmail and having a sort of a power over you since they have dirt on you.

Also try not to think of coming out as a way of hurting those around you and you benefiting. People will get hurt because sometimes they'll cry over things that they will eventually get over within time. It's not even considered selfish either you are trying to be who you are and that's not a selfish thing for anyone. Because in reality you are trying to do probably one of the most hardest things in life (Coming Out) once you come out it helps you in so many ways, because you are accepting of who you are as a person and you feel better being who you are. You don't have to hide who you are, and you don't need to live in fear all your life worrying if your parents will accept you or deny you.

I think a lot of people are shy until they found out ways of making friends and coming out of their shell. I had gone through this when I was in High School, I too was also considered a loner because I hung out with people in my class and didn't talk to anyone else.

Welcome to Empty Closets.

#2 Brandon, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  3. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

4. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome! I'm sure you will find EC to be a wonderful, helpful place.

You might have just been describing me, as far as being shy, etc. I know I could not imagine coming out to anyone 4 years ago, couldn't even admit it to myself. I'd say give it some time, talk to people here, and do it when it is right for you. Just remember, you don't have to come out to everyone or anyone unless you want to.

5. panda

Welcome to EC!! Lots of people here who've gone through what you're going through.

You're in the right place.:welcome:

6. riddlerno1

welcome to ec! what you have described is probably what many of us have also gone through and are still going through!! (me!!) but least you can discuss these issues with ec now!

7. -Michael-

:smilewave

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Welcome to EC! I hope this places will help you. Your feelings are not different than anybody else who struggles with coming out. Its hard because you do wonder if your family and friends will turn on you. My son wondered the same thing coming out in a fundamentalist Christian family! It just hasn't happened.

9. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!! :grin:

Is it selfless to suppress yourself and live a false life, in which people can tell that something's up and therefore worry about you much more than necessary??

You wouldn't be selfish for coming out. You'd put their worried minds at ease.

(*hug*)

10. Jim1454

Hi and welcome to EC from Jim in Toronto!

This is not you being selfish. This is you being honest - with yourself and with those around you. The way I look at it, you're hurting those around you by not being honest - only they don't know it.

I worried about what people would think too. And I worried that they'd be angry that I hadn't told them sooner. But people (generally) understand that coming out is a very difficult thing to do, and they'll appreciate the fact that you're confiding in them. They won't hold it against you that you didn't tell them sooner. I don't think I've ever read a 'coming out' story here on EC where the friend or family member said "I'm fine with you being gay, but I'm never speaking to you again because you didn't tell me sooner!"

At the same time, there is no need to rush. Take your time. Get comfortable with the concept. You'll get to a point where NOT telling them is more awkward than telling them. Then it will be time.

Otherwise, hang out here. This site helped me get comfortable with being gay, and reassured me that gay people are just like everyone else! I'm not REALLY all that different.

Good luck. And again - WELCOME!!!

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

You have come to the right place. Take your time in coming out to others. It might be that you are not ready yet but with time you will get there. Coming out for the first time is hard, but as you start coming out to others you will gain confidence which might help you to find it easier to come out to more friends and eventually the family. What might help you in overcoming some of your fears is if you try finding out what your friends and/or parents views on homosexuality are. Sometimes knowing that will allow us to gain a different perspective on it and in some ways get us ready to come out to them.

Please do feel free to post your questions and opinions. We will help you as much as we can. Welcome to Empty Closets.

12. Jonathan

:welcome: Welcome to EC!!!

13. James

Welcome to EC.

14. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, welcome to EC! This is a fantastic place to find support, so many people here have been in just your situation.

15. Ronnie92

Hi,welcome to EC. You'll have plenty of fun because now we are your family,and family takes care of each other. :grin:

16. EM68

Welcome! :smilewave

17. ducktress

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear you Zebra. Good that you know who you are. That's an important step. If you accept yourself you'll find others will accept you for who you are. I know what it's like to feel alone in that crowd at school. I wonder how different things would have been...
    Anyway, glad you're here!

18. Inspired Zebra

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow, I am surprised with the response this has gotten. Thank you all for your encouraging words. It's really nice to know that there are many others who have/are going thought the same things. This seems like a great place and i'm definitely glad I joined. =D

19. Zachary825

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  20. musicXowl

hey welcome to EC!