1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings from Pittsburgh!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Dashton, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Dashton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Howdy everyone. This is my first post! I Just wanted to take a moment to say hello and introduce myself.

Well, let see.... My name is Dane and I am a 28 y/o gay male living with my partner in Pittsburgh, PA. I am originally from West Virginia and moved to "the burgh" 10 years ago for college. Growing up, I was really into the theater arts and spent many summers working with an outdoor theater company near my hometown. That is were I fell in love with dance. I danced all through high school and decided to continue my studies in college and later received a BFA in dance.

That is where I met my partner. He is also a dancer/filmmaker. We have been together 10 years starting this September. For the past 6 years, I have worked for a dance company here in Pittsburgh and absolutely love it! Everyday is different. We perform a lot and get to collaborate with a lot of great artists around the globe. We also have a rather large education outreach program where we get to work with teachers and students.

My partner just recently received his MFA in Film and has spent the last 4 years creating a documentary film about gay youth. He is originally from LA and had a much more difficult time growing up. About 5 years ago, he had a calling to create this film, which was one of the major reasons he decided to go back to school for his Masters. After experiencing all of the bullying and difficulties growing up and reading about how current anti-bullying campaigns are not working, he knew he had to make this film. It has been quite the struggle for him creating this film, but him and his team have come a long way over the past 4 years and are close to the finish line.

So thats my life at the moment. I look forward to being a part of this community and please feel free to message me about anything!

-Dane

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC, Dane! :wave:
    Very nice to meet you and hear about you and your partner's adventures so far in life. What your partner's doing sounds very good as far as increasing awareness to the world goes. Hope it turns out well for him.
    A good friend of mine is very big into dance in Kansas City, and my brother's college commencement speaker was Mikhail Baryshnikov.
    Look forward to reading your posts! :grin:

3. Candace

Hello and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

4. wolf of fire

Hello and welcome to EC, feel free to message me if you need help or want to chat.

5. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome Dane. Your life sounds like it has been a fun adventure. I used to go to Pittsburgh when I was in Undergrad at a little itty bitty Christian Liberal Arts College, in a town too small for a stoplight below Weirton, WV.

6. Hexagon

Welcome to EC

7. clAsh

clAsh Guest

Hi :slight_smile:
    Welcome!

8. YourSoThirsty

Derp I meAn welcome to EC xD

9. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  10. Dashton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you everyone for the welcomes!

11. sugarcubeigloo

Oh... you're from the wrong side of Pennsylvania, huh? Well, I guess that's fine. I won't hold it against you... kidding. :lol:

Welcome Dane! Hope you enjoy it here. What a great story; thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

12. Dashton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @sugarcubeigloo

Haha yes....I would just say the "other side" of PA. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks for the welcome!