1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need support in the Middle East

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by richyinuae, Jul 20, 2014.

1. richyinuae

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, my name is Richard, and I'm originally from the US but I live in the Middle East/Persian/Arabian Gulf now.

I'm a professor in a university out here, and I really love being in this region for a number of reasons. Well, the people are so attractive (Arabs, Iranians, Pakistanis, Indians), but besides that, there is such a mix of cultures here...and it's easy to travel to all these wonderful exotic, traditional and historical places. There is very, very little crime here, and the pay is great and tax free. People are very friendly in my circle of friends, although the society and the lifestyle is getting very upscale and materialistic in the last decade or so.

I have so many interests, and I love all people. I just get so much out of meeting and being with all the wonderful friends and acquaintances I have been blessed with here from all over the world.

I'm trying to get some support for my issues which are engaging in unsafe sex, and get some advice about the effects and need to control anonymous sex.

Specifically, I need to think of practical ways I can motivate myself to always use a condom. The issue is not so simple. It has to do with the very low rate of HIV over here, the unlimited chances to have sex with almost any type of local guy I want, the psychology of why people take risks, the excitement of exchanging body fluids, and the need to do more novel things if one has done it so many times. I would like to know people I can check in with on this issue to help motivate me that I am "doing it." Maybe I should open a thread on this? I wish there were an online support group for this. Over here, it wouldn't go down well.

Then there is the issue of the enormous amounts of excitement and passion I get in my life from all of this sex, and it is the fulfillment of every fantasy I've ever had, but is it good for me as I'm getting older? Can I replace it with another kind of less selfish, more altruistic passion? It seems so superficial, but it makes life so, so thrilling.

I guess the two issues are sort of related. I'm sure many people have or have thought about these issues as well.

Any suggestions?

Richard

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC, Richard. Sounds like you live a very adventurous and fulfilling life, which is awesome.
    You'll most likely receive a lot of warm welcomes on this thread and not as much advice.
    For some support/suggestions related to your situation, I recommend making a topic in the Physical & Sexual Health subforum about your topic.

Great to have you here, and I hope we can help you motivate yourself to practice safe sex. I'd type more about how ridiculously important it is to practice safe sex, even if you live in an area low in HIV-pos people, but I have to leave for work so I'll leave it to everyone else.
    Nice to meet you! :smilewave

3. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What about having an emotional connection with someone, while i know that might cut down on the frequency of you having sex with any people, i think it might make the sex you have with that one person more fulfilling and passionate also, motivating you to practice safe sex more often, and :welcome: sorry saw that you might need help :slight_smile:

4. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

Hey welcome to EC Richard:slight_smile:

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Richard,
    firstly, hi and welcome to ec :wave:

As to your question: ok so there's little chance of you contracting HIV-AIDS, but what about other sexually transmitted diseases? And furthermore, what do you really value more, your physical actual life on this Earth, or the intense pleasure you get from unprotected sex? Because even if the chance of getting HIV-AIDS from someone were only one in a thousand, I would still use a condom, every single time. Unless of course you get to know one special person very well, both get tested a number of times, and find out that you really are both totally clean. But really, what is more important to safeguard that our health? Even with all the available drugs, AIDS still does kill people sometimes, does it not?

kind regards,
    Damien. :slight_smile:

#6 Damien, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  7. Candace

Welcome to EC, Richard! :slight_smile:

8. YourSoThirsty

"I need support in the Middle East" haven't heard that before... Lol Jk Welcome :slight_smile:

9. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Hey and welcome to EC I hope you enjoy your time here and that you make new friends who will both advise and support you in your effort to come to terms with your sexuality and that you are able to share your experiences with this wonderful community of people.

Good luck
    And if you ever need a friend don't hesitate to contact me

10. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  11. lovely lesbian

12. Dashton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Richard and welcome to EC. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

13. scared32

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi welcome, im also new. Sex can be wonderful and thrilling, exciting and sometimes a little danger is fun but I think its more fun and sexy when its safe sex condoms etc you can buy many different kinds that are fun and sexy , yummy flavors. Think of safe sex as sexy too and being healthy you and your partners , so you can enjoy more exciting sex.

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi richyinuae, welcome to EC!

I can understand your thrill and excitement at being able to encounter such a diverse group of people and to live and enjoy a beautiful country. But I have to ask, how do you know that the rates of HIV are so low? You are in a fairly conservative country no doubt, do you trust the statistics? Even so, with so many people coming from so many different places, it just seems impossible to me that the risk is as low as you indicate. Add to this the additional risk you run with multiple partners and I must say, for the benefit of others reading this, it borders on the reckless.

You are an educated person, so I assume you have informed yourself about the risks for other STDs as well, some of which will increase your chances of getting HIV, especially if you have unprotected sex with multiple and anonymous partners.

Here is where you may want to consider Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis, or PrEP, i.e. the prophylactic use of Truvada in those instances where you do take risks. Even with this treatment it is strongly recommended to us a condom at all times. Even so, this is only to help reduce (not eliminate) the risk of contracting HIV, it does nothing for gonorrhea, syphilis or other nasty things that are emerging.

It is true, HIV is no longer a death sentence. I have a sister who contracted AIDS 25 years ago, when the medications were not as effective as they are today. She is nearly blind and her body has been somewhat deformed from the lipodystrophy associated with long-term use of HIV medications. These are miracle drugs, no doubt, but the side effects are strong and sometimes severe, they are also costly and you must take them always.

I hope I don't come off as shaming your behaviour, I truly understand the thrill you are talking about. This is coming from a place of concern for your welfare and for the welfare of those whom you will encounter as well.

15. JustJJx

Welcome matey! :grin:

16. richyinuae

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, thanks for all the welcomes, and the feedback, and I will go and open a thread/topic in the physical and sexual health.

Richard : )

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! ^^