1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexual and in a straight relationship

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Kirsten, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Kirsten

Kirsten Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi everyone, I'm Kirsten, I am a 26 year old female, and I'm bisexual. On some level I have known that I'm bisexual since I was a teenager. I find myself noticing both men and women and have for a long time. Through my life I've had 'crushes' on both men and women. When I was about 18 I remember spending a lot of time thinking about my sexuality. At the time I had really strong feelings for a friend of mine who happened to be a girl, and it freaked me out. I remember speaking to my brother about it and becoming okay with feeling that way.

Now fast forward 8 years, I've never been in a relationship with a woman (fooled around a little bit with some friends while drinking but that's it) And I have been in a relationship with a man for the last 3.5 years and I find my self thinking more and more about the side of my sexuality that I haven't really explored. I'm not sure if it's because my boyfriend and I have been talking about marriage and 'forever' that's making me want to get out there and explore the feelings I have for women before I settle down with one person. My boyfriend doesn't know that I consider myself bisexual, no one really does.after a few too many glasses of wine one night I was speaking with a friend and her husband and it almost came up, but I stopped myself before I could say anything.

I am considering breaking up with my boyfriend (partially because I feel like I need to be alone and really explore my sexuality, but mostly because I just don't think I want 'forever' with him)

Anyway, I guess I am posting this because I just wanted to get it out there, and say it "I'm bisexual and it's okay" and maybe get some advice when it comes to talking to friends and family :slight_smile:

2. clAsh

clAsh Guest

Well, if you're feeling that way, it wouldn't be fair to stay in a relationship you're not 100% in, especially with marriage being brought about. You should consider ending your relationship, or take a break while you figure out what you want.
    I'm afraid I don't have any advice about telling your family. I haven't came out to mine yet, I've just recently accepted it myself.
    Anyway, welcome to EC and good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Feel free to message me if you need/want to talk. :slight_smile:

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC, Kirsten! :grin:
    You've come to the right place for support and advice about coming out, and I hope, when the time comes, we can help you.
    I agree with clash. You should talk to your boyfriend about breaking up, and tell him the truth so that he might understand.
    Anyway.
    If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to ask. Nice to meet you. :slight_smile:

4. Candace

Hello and welcome to EC! It's a pleasure to meet you. I hope that you find courage in breaking up with your boyfriend and that you get all the support and advice that you need on this site. Please feel free to ask, as that is what this site is all about :slight_smile:.

5. lovely lesbian

6. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people