1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi everyone, I'm new here

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Star Lord, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Star Lord

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello everybody that's reading this! I've been reading stuff here on EC for a few months and I finally decided to join. I realized I can be attracted to men the same way I am to women sometime in the fall. I don't think I need to tell my family, but if someone finds out I think they'll be fine with it. My sister is very LGBT supportive, my mom is too, she even started saying girl or boy/girlfriend or boyfriend to me when she jokes about my future. My dad I'm not completely sure about. The first time I heard the word "gay" was when I was a little kid. my sister and her friend said that an actor "looked gay" and they said it just meant happy when I asked. I asked my dad what it meant and he basically told me that it describes a person who romantically loves someone of the same gender... then said it was gross. That caused me to be a homophobic and later transphobic person. I don't know exactly why I got over it, but I remember being one of those people that thought lesbians were okay since they were hot (uuugh, talking about my past is embarrassing). Then, I don't remember when, I got over gay men. I think my sister had something to do with it, she's been supportive of LGBT rights for waaay longer than me and I'm pretty sure she's straight. I remember still being a jerk like that when those equal sign profile picture were going around facebook. I remember last summer a crime show my mom and sister like had an episode where a trans girl was murdered and I remember being uncomfortable with someone with a male body being a girl. I'm fine with all of that now, but it annoys me that I was like that. I just remembered that I was supposed to be talking about my dad, oops, haha. Well he seems okay with LGBT people now. He likes the characters Mitch and Cam (a gay couple) on Modern Family and watches Orange is the New Black. I once heard him and my sister talking about how he was raised to be kinda homophobic but he's trying to accept it now. I still think that if I came out soon he'd be weirded out by me at first but would eventually would accept it. I don't feel the need to come out since I'm not interested in dating anyone yet. Anyways I didn't mean for this to be my life story, thank you if you read that entire thing, would you mind replying if you did? Bye-(Thankful I got this Username)Star Lord

2. Candace

Hello and welcome to EC! :smilewave :welcome:. It's a pleasure to meet you :slight_smile:.

3. wolf of fire

Hello and welcome to EC, feel free to message me if you need help or want to chat.

4. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello! It's really neat to see TV shows made a difference in your dad's attitude toward LGBT people, especially since your family is in a conservative state like Montana.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC.

It's always a bit scary to think about coming out (telling people) that you have same sex attraction. Although you can gauge some people's reactions quite well, others are harder to read - like your Dad, so it's a bit like walking into the unknown and it can feel quite scary.

Sometimes, people are awakened to the shifting attitudes within society and rather than resist, they go with it. It might take them out of their comfort zone a little, but if they are wise enough, they will come to realise that the world doesn't stand still for any man. Based on what you have told us, it would seem your Dad is trying to take the journey from past hostility to a greater level of tolerance and understanding. That can only be a good thing.

The media can be a help or hindrance to the cause of LGBT people, but at it's best, it can demonstrate the good that exists within our community and do much to soften hard attitudes. Maybe your Dad is realising that same sex attraction isn't awful or gross at all.

I hope well see more of you on the forum. Join in when/where can and let us know how things do.

7. ROCguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome, Star Lord!! :slight_smile:

8. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Whoa, what an intro! :grin: It's awesome to meet you Star Lord and I welcome you to EC! I hope your experience here is enjoyable.

9. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Welcome to EC Star Lord ( I'm going to presume a ROTG fan? :lol: ). It's always comforting to hear that people's attitudes are changing, especially when they are the people who are nearest and dearest to you. Along with that, I think you should be more proud with yourself for changing into an accepting person, rather than thinking badly of who you once were. Just like your dad, you were brought up by a once somewhat-homophobic parent (Your dad didn't seem as bad as some people I've known) and so it is natural to pick up opinions from your parents at a young age.

Keep encouraging your sister to keep up with her amazing work as a supporter and I hope this site provides you with all the information you need to help, understand and appreciate yourself fully. :slight_smile:

Compute .

P.S. I enjoyed your story, you're quite the story-teller!

10. lovely lesbian

11. Star Lord

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks everyone! I can't believe it's been 2 weeks already. I don't get a chance to go on here in private much. See ya!-Star Lord

12. soulcatcher

Well good for you. I hope your family will support you and whatever person you may end up with.