1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So my world just exploded!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by ILetItGo, Sep 20, 2014.

1. ILetItGo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, 2 months ago I graduated from Med School,:slight_smile: and started as a doctor early August . But, I had doubts for a year and a half that this wan't the career for me,:confused: and after a week of the job, decided to have a year out.
    Now that side of things is a different story, but it meant for the first time in my adult life I was not busy, or surrounded by friends. So I was at home for a month or so with my parents (only child). But they left for a holiday for a week, and I was left house-sitting, and alone with my thoughts with nothing and no-one else on my mind. And then one morning in the shower i began doing this :bang: as I realised I was about to admit something to myself I had been fighting for 7 years. I knew I was probably gay, and this time there was nothing to distract me, nothing else to focus on, I had to, for once, deal with these emotions seriously:eusa_naug
    I told my family on their return, and it went as expected. Mum was fine with it, Dad was sickened to his core, and the cat was hungry.
    Dad said I can't bring it anywhere near him, it makes him sick :tantrum:. So, he said to leave and cut me off. So I came back to Cardiff (where I studied), and told my future housemates, (old non-medic uni friends). who were cool with it. We then had a medic reunion last weekend, and I told my old housemates on a fun night out. And they were all supportive too (&&&) but I knew they would be!

But anyway, I'm currently unemployed, but job hunting, and wanting to tell my old home friends, but can't be certain things won't change with them (much more traditional), and as my best oldest friends, I feel there is a lot more riding on it. I'm trying to not think about my Dad right now, and stay my usual fun, positive hilarious self I'm known for being :grin:. But honestly, being alone in the house all day, and not really knowing any close gay friends to talk to, I feel my life is draining away:help:. 3 months ago life seemed perfect, even to me, as I was blissfully in denial about career and sexuality, and helped other people with their problems rather than addressing my own.

So, sorry for this essay. But this is my abridged story, and my life just feels completely flipped and up in the air at the moment, and I don't really know what to do (apart from getting a job) as my next step! But I hope to find some guidance here from you peeps! Looking forward to talking more! :icon_bigg

2. wolf of fire

Hello and welcome to EC, feel free to message me if you need help with anything or want to chat.

3. Kabuki

Hey! Welcome! :grin:

You've gone through a lot in such little time! No wonder you feel like that, I'm glad you decided to join us because here you will find things to distract you and help you.

4. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC. :smilewave

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Give him time and he will come round. It took you a long time to accept that you are gay and it will take time for your dad to realise that not all gay people are 'as seen on tv'.

Best wishes

5. girlpower

Hei! Read your story. first, congrats on coming in terms with your sexuality, accepting it and coming out to family/friends, its a big big achievement. you need to give yourself sometime, it'l all be great.. you'd surely find someone :slight_smile:
    About your career, i can totally understand how much stressful career decisions can be. Its possible that its just a phase as you had just started your job as a doctor, if you think you are confused or something, i'd say wait for sometime. Take a job as a doctor, give yourself time to understand what you want, dont be in a hurry to make alternate career choices. you never you start liking the profession in another 4-6 months. Or see if you can find a career path where your med education could be useful.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to Empty Closets. In joining this forum you have made a first positive step in connecting with other LGBT people. You can also take something from coming out to people so soon. Many of us agonise over the realisation we are gay for months or years; you confronted the issue and told people immediately. That's actually a rather brave thing to do.

I'm really sorry your Dad reacted in such a bad way. Are you still in contact with your Mum?

It's early days on this journey and you've really hit the ground running, even though it may not seem that way to you right now. This forum is a safe place where many LGBT people take their first 'baby steps' before and after coming out. Stick around and chat to us. If you need some help or advice, just ask. :slight_smile:

7. Candide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Welcome! Cats eh, all they think about is food...

You've done a very brave thing, and I'm so sorry about your Dad's reaction. Your life begins now, truly! You'll be the you you've needed to be for a long time. I'm very new to the LGBT community too, but this forum is a wonderful place to start.

8. Candace

Hello and welcome to EC! :smilewave :welcome:

9. Hexagon

Welcome to EC

10. ERA

ERA

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been there with being out of work and having too much time on your hands and questioning everything. I actually had an easier time telling my childhood friends then I did my college friends. I'd known them longer and knew how they would react. But the question you have to ask yourself is, do your really want friends that don't support who you are? Either they support you, or you find out who your real friends are. Either way, it's a win-win, even if it didn't feel that way at first.

11. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  12. ILetItGo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words everyone! I told a few more friends last night at another catch-up. And again everyone was supportive. I think I'm gonna get some advice from my old friend's girlfriend about how she thinks he and my other friends would react, but I am plan on telling them soon. I'm try to get everyone else just to spread the word now, so bored of coming out!

And I might contact some medics who are gay, and ask them for advice about getting started with this whole thing, unfortunately I was never that close with any of them, but I know a few well enough to talk to them about I think.

Yes, still in contact with my Mum. But only every so often. She doesn't use a mobile!