1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supporting My Partner

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Patch089, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Patch089

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello EC!
    This is my first post on any forum/site. I'm a little nervous about posting because I'm a straight cis female, but this feels like a really great community and I hope people don't mind :slight_smile: My SO of ≈4 years has recently come out to me as bi-gender. They say they love being a straight male most of the time, and has days where they identify as female. I'm so thrilled they've come out to me, and am really looking forward to learning more about my partner and being able to talk openly about something that's been a secret for so long. I want to be supportive and understanding and have been doing a ton of reading to learn as much as I can.
    I'm hoping to connect and talk with folks about their experiences coming out. What were things people close to you said or did that felt really supportive? Were there any things people who were trying to be supportive did or said that were unintentionally hurtful?
    I'm worried about overwhelming my partner with questions. Talking about it is something totally new for them, but frankly I'm really excited to start this new chapter in our relationship.
    Thanks so much for reading my novel. Any advice, stories, suggestions or anything at all would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

2. AsheTheHuman

Welcome! You sound like a really great girlfriend, and don't worry; we won't burn you on the stake for being cis. XD I'm not to sure on your SO's feelings on pronouns, but try referring to them with "they" pronouns from now on. You might want to ask them about their name as well. They very well may want to change it to something gender neutral. If they do, change their name on your phone. You have NO idea what a big deal that is. Then again, maybe that's just me. Maybe offer to let them try on your clothes sometime? That'd probably be the biggest way for you to show your support honestly. Just a few ideas. Good luck, and welcome to the site! If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

3. Blossom85

Hi there and welcome to EC,

I think it is wonderful how supportive you are being and that you are actively seeking out more information and advice on how to move forward from now on. I can't say much about any experiences, i just wanted to welcome you here and don't be afraid to post here. Everyone here is really wonderful and supportive, so please don't feel shy or scared about asking for advice or support.

4. Hexagon

Welcome to EC

5. lukeluvznicki13

Greetings & Welcome! :thumbsup: :smilewave :eusa_danc (*hug*)

6. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. Patch089

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks for making me feel welcome, all :slight_smile: It really means a lot to know there are people willing to talk and share their stories and just be friendly

8. LovesMyArmyGirl

Hey! It's great that your so supportive! Your partner is so lucky that they have you! Feel free to get in touch to just talk. I don't know much But love meeting new people!

9. WannaBeMe

Just don't be afraid to ask.

10. lovely lesbian

11. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Hi! :slight_smile: I'd say your partner is lucky to be with someone so supportive. I'd say they you should ask your questions, you could even say something like: "let me know if I'm asking *too* many questions, I'm just happy to be part of your life".

When I came out Bi, the most supportive has been my Mom. She always says "I just want you to be happy".