1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings EC Community!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by OnTheHighway, Oct 10, 2014.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello EC,

I came across EC now approaching two years ago. While I have not, up until now, actively participated in the community, the discussions on EC that I have closely followed have not only impacted me profoundly, thus allowing me to come out to myself, but has also provided me the mental support necessary to navigate the process of coming out to everyone in my life - both personally and professionally.

Now, feeling extremely settled, confident I made the right decisions, and where I believe I have conquored enormous obstacles, I feel compelled to give back and share the journey I went through with the hope that others might benefit from my experiences.

Since the beginning of 2012, I came out to myself, helped my former spouse come to terms and adjust, developed evolved and deeper relationships with my wonderful and supportive kids, opened up to the co-workers in my office, continue to practice professionally while being openly gay (and the surprised reactions I get as a result), and, after more trials and errors than I care to think about, entered into the beginnings (going on 7 months) of a relationship with probably the most amazing and loving man I have ever come accross.

Without EC, I am not sure I would have even begin the journey! Thank you EC.

Now, I look forward engaging with the EC community as an openly gay and content man.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey USUK, welcome (finally!) to EC!

It is such a thrill hearing from our readers who've made it, terrific inspiration for the rest of us!

3. wolf of fire

Hello and welcome to EC, feel free to message me if you need help with anything or want to chat.

4. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    YES !!!! that is awesome , I am so glad that you are able to share with us now so welcome and I am so glad you are here .

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, that's so touching that you gained so much support without even posting. It makes me feel really happy if more visitors like you are deriving such benefit. It's great you're willing to pay it forward. There is definitely a dearth of middle-aged people on this site, and they provide such valuable perspective for the younger members. Definitely a great example of "It gets better"!

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the welcoming thoughts! But being called "Middle Aged"? Wow, where did the time go?????

As my friend's tell me, I am now playing the back nine (to use a golf analogy) - better make the most of it!

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A warm welcome. It was good to read your story and to learn that our conversations actually help people who have not (yet) registered for membership. Nice to have you on board now. :slight_smile:

8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would imagine this site helps vastly more people who never register than anyone imagines. The inherent process of coming out can be very much a private and lonely journey, with personal confidence seriously questioned. I am sure it might have been much easier if I had actually engaged initially with others; but now that I am in a comfortable place, better late than never!

9. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome from another Later in Life poster. Glad you registered and can share some of the experiences you've had. I was talking to someone at work yesterday who just found out I was gay (considering that she's a lesbian and I've been wearing a rainbow bracelet for months, I was a little surprised it took her this long! But it turns out she was being tactful, and just figured she shouldn't pry). She mentioned that there were a couple very deeply closeted guys in the building and her heart broke for them because of the misery they were feeling. I really hope that the experiences we share can help people like them, who are trying to figure out what to do. What we have to say can make a huge difference in someone's life (and sometimes, in very surprising ways, our own). Welcome!

10. Candace

Hello from across the pond and welcome to EC! :smilewave :welcome: It's a pleasure to meet you :slight_smile:

11. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually think I was the first openly gay guy in my company of almost 200 people! After I came out, a few other did the same within several months of my own coming out. At my suggestion, our company also updated their employment practices to be equality base (not that there was any concerns before but now it's crystal clear). And even then, I have had one now out guy transfer from his office to mine because my office is now considered the "cool" office to work in :lol:

12. Blossom85

Hi there and Welcome to EC,

It is always wonderful to hear that people reading through the boards without registering are getting help and advice as well. It's great to see you have decided to join, I gather from reading here that you know we are all a friendly and supportive bunch of people, so I hope you enjoy being here.

13. TboyB

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's awesome! And I'm sure your new focus confidence will boost morales for any newcomers looking at this thread ^_^

14. Hexagon

Welcome to EC

15. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  16. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the invite. Probably need to get to Gul member before I can message :icon_sad:

---------- Post added 11th Oct 2014 at 09:15 PM ----------

Hi! How is Birmingham these days?