1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I help him..

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by eve71evelyn, Nov 6, 2014.

1. eve71evelyn

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My 16 year old son came out to me yesterday. ...I kinda knew anyhow and we actually had a giggle about it. I love him so much and want to help him adapt and be proud of who he is....what can a mum do to make it easier...TIA

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey eve71evelyn, welcome to EC!

First off, good for you for being so accepting and loving, this is fantastic, and if you could joke about it, that is so much the better!

Speaking as a parent myself, the one thing you need to do is...just be present. He'll want to feel safe to talk to you about dates and boyfriends, let him initiate these discussions on his own, he may need advice and pretend not to listen, but he will, you have more influence than you may suspect. Your acceptance means more to him than you can possibly know.

Be open to welcoming into your home, and heart, any boyfriend he wants to introduce you to, this will validate both of them and offer some shelter from those who would object to their relationship.

This does not mean turning a blind eye to something that you may perceive as wrong in the relationship, but just as if it were a girl, deal with any issues with sensitivity and respect. Your acceptance, support and love is all he needs, nothing more and nothing less.

3. Candace

Hello and welcome to EC! :smilewave :welcome: It's a pleasure to meet you :slight_smile:

Thank you for being so accepting!! You've come to the right place in order to receive help :slight_smile: That's what EC is all about.

4. DRXinMO

DRXinMO Guest

Welcome, eve71evelyn!

Wow! I wish I had anyone in my family that felt like you do when I was his age. He is a lucky boy to have a supportive parent. Just knowing that you accept him and love him no matter what is the best place for you to start.

Blessings to you both.

5. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome! There are many great resources here, for both you and for your son! I would eventually point him in this direction as well, it never hurts to have people to talk to that understand exactly what he's going through. You seem like a great mom, and like you've raised a great young man that has a great deal of trust in you :slight_smile:

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. Paul6089

Paul6089 Guest

Hi and welcome to EC!

8. ForeverYoung000

Hello!

Welcome to EC. Nice to meet you.

9. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Remind him constantly that you love him no matter what. It will be encouraging for him. :slight_smile:

10. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello and welcome to EC , I will tell you this that I wish I had a family member that was a cool as you are with all this. I think that you just being there for him will be so helpful and he will really appreciate it ! keep up the great work

11. Blossom85

Hi there and welcome to EC,

I think you are a wonderful mother and it's awesome to see you being so accepting of him. I think just keep doing what you are doing, let him know you are open to talking to him if he wants to talk but don't pressure him unless he wants to and just keep encouraging him and letting him know you love him and are proud of him.

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets! Glad you have decided to join the community. :slight_smile:

It's inspirational to see you wanting to be there for your son and helping him to be who he is. Greatwhale pretty much covered what I was going to suggest. Be there for him, and support him as much as you can.

13. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people