1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introduction and a question

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by YDaisy, Nov 13, 2014.

1. YDaisy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello everyone,

I joined this lovely and supporting group a few days ago, in the hope of finding some comfort, advice, and understanding friends. I'm married to a wonderful man and we have two adorable children, but about six months ago I began a journey into myself. After allowing all that was well concealed inside of me come up to the surface, and examining myself more closely and honestly, I have come to realize that I'm bisexual. I'm still not completely certain what it means to me, what are the level and form of attraction I have towards women, and what I want to do with this information. Some days I'm excited to find out, and some days this process becomes a burden...
    A few months ago I came out to my husband, and after his initial (and expected) freak-out he became supportive of me and my journey.
    And here is my question to you, thought it might be appropriate here in the welcoming forum: since I'm trying to be as honest as I can with him (without hurting him), I told him that I joined this site, because I feel like only people who are or have been in this situation can really understand, and can offer support in ways that he can't. He in turn raised the concern of "group thinking", and is worried that I will be somehow influenced by ideas that may not be my own. I know he's mostly worried about the changes this revelation might bring to our marriage, but I'm wondering what you all think. In other words, how do you feel this site has helped you?
    Thank you all! Even though I've been browsing here for only a few days, it's already feeling comfortable and supportive.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello!!! I'm glad your husband is supportive. Basically, before I joined this site, I had never been honest with anyone, online or in real life about my sexuality. That was last June. Now, even though I've gone on a big roller coaster due to other events in my life, the one positive is that I started coming out (most importantly to my mom) and went on my first date ever last Sunday. So, I wholeheartedly say "it gets better".

It sounds like your husband is a little nervous, which I understand. You might try going to a PFLAG meeting with him.

3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, and welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

To be fair, I think your husband raises a good point. Sometimes listening to other people with the same sort of opinion is not always helpful. You have to be true to your own feelings, listen to the advice here but ultimately come up with your own answers. However, I would say that most members here would encourage you to look within and see how you personally feel about your sexuality, rather than tell you what to do and think. That's why I find it to be a great supportive environment, because it supports you as a person. I'm glad you've joined the community and find it helpful, anyway!

On a related note, I know a bisexual man who is happily married to a lovely lady. :slight_smile: So you're not alone!

4. Blossom85

Hi there and welcome to EC,

I hope you enjoy being here.

5. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  6. Chriswe

It's great that he's supportive! Well, this site has helped me a lot. I found a new friend, I get to read about other LGBTQ+ peoples experiences and lives, and I don't feel so horribly lonely anymore.

7. YDaisy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for your kind and welcoming words! This is the first time I'm part of an online group that is so supportive with each other! Wonderful to be here!

@resu: That is amazing! It's only been about six months and you're already feeling more free to be yourself, and even pursue your happiness! Hope it was a good date, and wishing you all the best!

@spartan 117: thank you, this is a good point that I actually noticed in the few threads that I've read. It makes me excited to be here!

@Chriswe: I also hope to find new friends here. Supportive, understanding friends are so important!

Hugs to all!

8. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello and welcome :slight_smile:

Take part... ask questions... people like to help

(&&&)

You might look up a few threads in the LGBT Later in Life section... there are quite a few others in your position...

Maybe its not so much being influenced... but reading things that touch inside, where something rings true...

(*hug*)

9. Perseus

Hiya! :slight_smile: Welcome to EC! Please feel free to ask for advice!

10. CubbieBlue

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi YDaisy! Just wanted to say hi on your welcome post. Ttyl

11. Candace

Hello and welcome to EC! :smilewave :welcome: It's a pleasure to meet you :slight_smile:

12. YDaisy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you everybody!! I really appreciate it!

13. LittleWriter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello! :slight_smile:

This is a really good community to talk and to try to solve your problems/thoughts.

Greetings and good luck! :slight_smile: