1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out at 50

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by lilt9619, May 13, 2007.

1. lilt9619

Hi, :smilewave (!)

I'm a newbie and have just been reading some of the coming out stories.
    I noticed that most of the women are all very young,what i would like to know,: are there any ladies who didn't come out till they hit fifty or older....how did they feel?what was the reaction of their family and friends......

2. Kimi

Hello and Welcome to Empty Closets(&&&)

I'm kinda new to here(joined about 3 month ago) so I'm not sure if there are anyone who has similar situation that you have. But even if there is not, I'm sure people would help or ponder about anything if you needed. Because people at here are very cool:thumbsup:

Cheers:smilewave
    Kimi

3. blake21

hi and welcome

4. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hi and welcome from me to jayden

5. Steam Giant

Hello there! Welcome to EC!

I'm still new here, so I don't personally know of anyone in specific who meets that description. However, I can't leave you completely empty handed! This is the closest I can come...check out this thread:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=952

If you don't want to revive the thread (since it really doesn't have anything to do with your questions), you can always send private messages to the people who posted there.

Again, it's not exactly the answer you were looking for, but it's the best I could do ^^

6. Jim1454

Way to go Steam Giant - that's the thread that came to mind for me as well...

Welcome to EC. Even at 36 I find the crowd here to be 'young' but at the same time I think the issues that we struggle with aren't all that different.

7. TeeBe

Hi, and welcome! I don't know of anyone on EC that fits your critria, but I DO know someone. She is my ...aunt? I don't exactly know what she is (my cousin's wife's father's cousin? Figure that out :S) But she did not come out until mid 30's or fourties. I don't know if that really helps, but you aren't alone.

As far as family reactions it was along the lines of: "Huh? how can you be?" Then, later, we all went to Cuba with her and her then-girlfriend. Fun time. Everyone was open, and everyone cried along with her when her GF left a couple of years later. Kind of the same thing as what people post for their own coming out stories, regardless of age. If anything, people were perhaps a bit more surprised because she had led a 'straight' lifestyle for so long.

8. lilt9619

thanx everyone for your comments......and your welcome i'm sure i'm going to feel right at home here...

9. aussie paul

hey, I'm not a 50+ woman, but I'm a 50+ man, so I bomb out on that, also, I have difficulity coming out. I accept myself, my wife and two close friends know my true sexual orientation. So, I've come out to a very limited group. (not to forget the EC community!!) hope this is a help. Is it an age thing or an age and gender question? Paul

10. radgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi. I am a newbie also. I am 42 and am opening the closet door. I have come out to my 3 daughters. I have brought it up to a few close friends but I think they think it is a joke. It is hard for people to believe because I have been married and I do have children. I have not talked with my son yet, but I am pretty sure he will be ok with it. He has a gay uncle that he is close to. I worry about their friends and future mates being accepting and also my grandbabies.

11. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC.

Most EC users are younger than 30 years old (in fact, a surprisingly high number of members seem to be male and 17 years old). So far the oldest member I know of is aussie paul. But that doesn't mean we can't help you. I am sure that all the members (including me) will try their best in order to assist you if you need that.

12. charlie12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi and Welcome to EC!

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Hi - sorry I missed you earlier - welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

14. SadConfusedBandGeek

15. greg

I came out when i was 48 but knew i was gay/different since about 12, i ve found that coming out is not as hard as trying to release the inner me after so many years of self repression thats when the hard work starts. greg