1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I didn't believe "gay" was a real thing...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by pelops, Jan 24, 2015.

1. pelops

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was born and raised in the Midwest, in a strongly Evangelical family. I was constantly surrounded by anti-queer messages, the most prominent among them that being gay was a choice: a choice to deny God's plan for your life in exchange for the "lusts of the flesh".

It's funny, because I've never had trouble rejecting ideas that don't measure up to experience. But for me, this really did seem to fit. Growing up, I occasionally found myself attracted to my male friends, but I was attracted to the girls I went to school with as well. I thought it was just a matter of choosing which interests to pursue.

I'm sure it took you all of three or four seconds to realize that I'm bi, but it took me more than a decade. Long story short, I was in a cult. I spent the first 18 years of my life in church school and had virtually no contact with the outside world. I had literally never heard the word "bisexual" until I went to college.

Working my way out of the church was a long process, and I still have hangups to this day. But every step I put between my present and my past I feel just a little bit lighter, a little bit happier, and a little bit more like myself. And the things I've learned on this journey have helped me come to better appreciate all of the ways that other folks can just be themselves, too.

So, I just want to say Thank You to the LGBTQ community for showing me that "gay" is a real thing, that people don't choose their sexual orientation, and that there's nothing wrong with being into who you're into. You have made my life better in so many ways.

(*hug*)

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow...rough. I find myself saying that a lot, but it's true. Trying to find the "real" you when you been brainwashed for years is real ...well..rough! What's important is what is in you're heart.You don't need to go out on an orgy of reaction against what you were taught. Those people, including your parents were undoubtedly sincere. But remember sincerely wrong is still wrong. Also, we need to remember that some things are recognized by society as inherently wrong...murder for example...while many other other things fall into gray areas where wrong and right are not so easy to define. If you are an honest, sane human being, then sexual orientation is one of those things that is not a problem for one person, but is for another. That's were, we hope, the sit down and talk it through happens. Why do you feel the way you do? Is this just a fling, are you mad at your parents or are you genuinely in love with someone of the same sex and you both should be treated as normal human beings? Tough questions to answering I hope that the answer comes out helping people and making the human race better not worse. David

3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  4. Pine

Pine Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I completely and totally feel you. I felt so much the same way. I'm still a Christian believer even though it's at odds with my parents. Welcome