1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings from the Hoosier State

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by kindy14, Mar 31, 2015.

1. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

I've been a member since last October, but I've never really introduced myself. Hi, I'm Keith, I'm 50, male, bi/pansexual, closeted since 13, out last October to first person, denied my bisexuality for most of that time. Separated from wife last November, moved in with my 18yo bae/roommate. Moved him to his mothers in January for being a juvenile delinquent (and then turns out he's 17yo :bang: .) Oh, with the wife we are of the same mind that I don not want the marriage to continue, and we will start planning our divorce. This has been hardest on her, and our adopted 15 year old son.

Anyway, this is just by way of introducing me, I'm a Hoosier by choice at the moment and I'm proud of that. There is actually a lot of good LGBT history and friendly places here, Indianapolis being one of them. I don't think the law was necessary to sign, I don't think it is the end of LGBT rights in Indiana either.

I'm a classic liberal, libertarian kinda guy. Live and let me, just don't make me pay for it all. I think the federal government is way out of size for what was intended. I think money and politics corrupts people faster than sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll. I grew up in a tolerant family (words weren't used with any animosity,) in a tolerant religion (Mitchell), in a fairly tolerant state (Connecticut.) I remember hearing about race riots all over the country, but also in state as well. I remember the gay news from New York. Womens rights. Solidarity with Poland, South African, Woodstock, et all... The Holocaust, the Killing Fields... fighting for freedom, communism, democracy, equal rights, Christianity, Catholicism, Protestantism, Islam... talking about the IRA in 5th grade when I was 11.

All this fighting is doing us no good! We have to work together to live together. CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG :rolle:

Treat others how you want to be treated, that's what I learned in church. That and Jesus Christ is da bomb... but we don't have to debate that. I think God loves everyone equally, and is really disappointed in those who disobey his will (whatever that is.) Revelations says everyone is saved in the end. So, I'll see everyone eventually whether I've made good choices or bad. I don't claim to know all about RELIGION, but Lutheranism teaches me that my relationship to God is one to one, no layers in between. All the trappings of religion are signs of respect. They aren't you being a good force in the world. I serve the Lord by helping others.

AND as a Christian I find a lot of rhetoric directed at Christians to be in very poor taste, juvenile, and having no place in public discourse. Nor do I condone calling others by derogatory terms, as individuals or a group (except commies.) I try to provide reasonable arguments for discussion and thought. I can play devils advocate on any issue, and will often do so if I think viewpoints are overlooked or marginalized.

I generally could care less what a person thinks, as long as they aren't harming others by their actions. Now, we can get into big philosophical debates about what constitutes harm and the implications of that in an imperfect society, but I'd rather the rubber hit the road so to speak.

If Apple really wanted to make a statement of principle, how about not doing business in countries that criminalize LGBT, like Saudi Arabia or violate basic human rights, like China. Rather then where a same-sex couple has the right to be married, and will likely be served by 99.999 percent of the population of business owners.

For instance, my gay roommate, friends and boyfriend and I have gone shopping here in Indianapolis and surrounds, quite a few times. We get looks all the time. I hear people laughing or making comments all the time. I might look them in the eye, and that usually makes them shut up and look away, but I'm probably not going to change their mind by getting in their face. I think, shrugging that behaviour off and being your normal self is the best way to disarm people. My 17yo former boyfriend and I caused quite the stir shopping in Walmart a few times. Just my experiences here so far, and only recently out.

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen your posts here and there since you joined. Nice to read more about you! :smilewave
    See you around!

3. lovely lesbian

4. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people