1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by duckdrake23, Nov 17, 2008.

1. duckdrake23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello Everyone!
    I wanted to introduce myself to you all and let you know about my backstory and why I am here. My name is Nathan and I'm 23 years old. I recently came out to a few people this July and it has been very difficult. I have been happily partnered for about 4 years now. Neither my partner nor I are out, and this last year has been hard on our relationship. My partner didn't want to continue the relationship, he wanted to "see if he can live a normal straight life". I wouldn't let him go, because we both know how much we love each other. We sought out a counselor, but that led to him ending it completely, he wouldn't accept who he really was. Nobody knew that I was in a relationship. I was a mess and didn't know where to turn, so I turned to the one person I thought would help me, my mom. I was first met with fear, fear that I was going to hurt myself. Soon after though things turned for the worst. I was met with hostility from my mom, many nasty things were said to me and I was floored. That night my partner came home (we live together) and I told him I told her. He was shocked at first and he began to relize the big picture. Thankfully he relized he didn't want to lose what we had and he finally accepted himself for who he is. We have grown stronger ever since. He is not out still, either am I though, well to an extent I am. My mom, dad, brother and one friend knows. Now I'm dealing with an unaccepting family (my brother seems okay thankfully). That is why I came to this site, to find others in the same situation, find support and to share my story.

Thanks everyone!

2. xequar

Hello.

That's quite the interesting situation... Four years and neither of you are out? Really? How have you dodged for that long?

3. Peter

Welcome aboard. Coming out is always difficult, but I found that living the lie was even more painful. I am not sure whether you are back together with your partner or just living parallel lives in the same house. If the latter, this must be incredibly hard for you, however if you are back together, you could consider coming out together - not at the same time, but really together, giving each other support as you tell friends that you are happy as a couple.

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

5. thespanishheart

Welcome to EC! (*hug*)

6. Jim1454

Hi and welcome to EC from Jim in Toronto!

I'm sure it was extremely difficult to maintain a relationship in secrecy for 4 years. Despite the reactions from your family, I have to believe you're better off now than you were before.

I'm sure you'll find others that can also relate to your story and your frustration.

7. Airboy87

Airboy87 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and welcome, Nathan! :smilewave

8. Derek the Wolf

Hey, welcome to EC!

9. Kimi

Konnichiwa and Welcome to empty closets!!

I'm sorry to hear about your family but at least you have your brother and hopefully your parents come around soon(*hug*)

Hope to see you around:smilewave:smilewave

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi and welcome to EC! I am sorry to hear about some of the things you went through. Hopefully your parents/family will accept you for you. I'm glad that your brother seems to have accepted it. It's great that you have a partner and that your relationship has grown stronger and that you have someone on whom you can rely on.

EC is a great place to share your story and from which to gather support. Welcome aboard!

11. Mickey

Hi! Welcome to EC. I know it sounds a bit old,but give it some time.
    I'm glad you and your b/f got back together. This is definetly a time you two need to
    stick together.
    Things will get better. Maybe it would help to try & educate your mom.
    PFLAG is great for that. Our resident "mom" Becky can help you with this more than
    I can. Good Luck!

12. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi and welcome:smilewave
    Im glad you and your bf are back together:slight_smile:.Wow 4 years in secret. Honestly how did you do it?

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I would be glad to help any way I can. Just PM me.

14. Welcome to EC!

Good luck, we're all behind you.

15. McBenz

Hi Nathan! welcome to EC first of all. i'm sorry your family is not accepting...hopefully your brother will end up ok with it all. i'm very happ you and your partner are back together and happy! I'm sure this site will help with any problems and/or questions. it has helped me out a ton!

16. LoveIsBlind

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi and welcome to the site :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear your family aren't that accepting, if you need and advice we're all here to help :slight_smile: