1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out at Home at 25

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by MusiCritterGuy, Apr 8, 2015.

1. MusiCritterGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello Everyone!

I've decided in December to begin my coming out process. I've been job searching, living at home, working part-time. I've done a year of AmeriCorps and finished last July. Although living at home at 25 is not ideal, my parents are both supportive of me taking time to find a career that pursues my passion for music.
    Since my senior year of college, I've identified bisexual, but never acted upon it. Over a year ago, I came out to myself as gay. But continued to tell friends I was bi. Not until last December, did I decide that I want to start my coming out process. I've gained some help and confidence through watching tons of coming out videos and following YouTubers who identify as gay. I've come out to closer friends who have reacted well. My sister and I have since become closer, since I told her. I still have yet to tell my family, including my parents, whom I live with. My counselor suggested I attend local PRIDE meetings at the university. Those have helped slightly. I've since used apps like ****** and ****** just to talk to people, and have more people to relate to in my area. Again, feeling like I have to look constantly look over my shoulder at home. My mom and I have a very open and honest relationship, and I hate feeling like I need to lie and 'cover' for myself. I have no doubt that my mother would never kick me out. And in the next few weeks, I plan on telling them. I figured, I'd start using the website for any additional support, or advice before I finish the 1st chapter in my coming out process.

2. hephzibah

hephzibah Guest

Hi, and welcome! :slight_smile:

3. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

Hey welcome to EC. Good luck in your coming out process:slight_smile:

4. Journeyman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  5. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi MusiCritterGuy

Welcome aboard! You'll find loads of help and support here. It sounds like you have a good support network, especially with your sister.
    I'm sure your mum will be fine when you feel the time is right to tell her. Best of luck on your journey and let us know how things progress.

6. absvrdity

absvrdity Guest

Welcome MusiCritterGuy! You have come to the right place to find support and advice :slight_smile: I hope you enjoy your time on here as everyone is incredibly nice :slight_smile:

7. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello there and welcome to the forums! :slight_smile: You should find some helpful advice while you're here - feel free to take a look around and join in the discussions. The Coming Out Advice subforum might interest you!

Just a quick reminder - we don't discuss dating websites here, because they usually require a membership age of 18+ and our members can be as young as 13. No harm done at all, I just thought I'd explain why they were appearing as asterisks'. :icon_wink

Take care, and have fun posting!

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people