1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to this and don't know what to do

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by schoolboy15, Apr 29, 2015.

1. schoolboy15

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am a guy who has always identified as straight but has had attractions to the same sex for years (since highschool). Until recently, those feelings were kept secret and still are. I don't know what I should do. If I should pursue anything with this or not

2. slakers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! You'll find a lot of great support here if you go looking for it, and if you ever need anything or have any questions feel free to send me a wall message! :slight_smile:

- Eric.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome!

If you've been having attractions toward the same sex, it's probably best to at least explore what you're feeling in the sense of talking about it and figuring out how prominent those feelings are.

The worst thing you can do is to flatly ignore the feelings and hope they go away, because, given that you've been having them for quite some time, it's safe to say it's a part of you. If you ignore them and, say, get married, you are likely setting yourself (and your partner) for a pretty unhappy outcome... as reading our Later in Life section will illustrate.

I'd suggest posting something very similar to what you wrote above in the support section, perhaps with some more explanation of your feelings for men vs women and what, if any, experiences you've had. There are a whole lot of people here who have been, or are now, exactly where you are, and I think you'll find talking about it to be really helpful.

4. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

Hey welcome to EC. You'll get all the support you need. One word of advice is don't worry about something you can't control. Best of luck.
    Sincerely, biffle50

5. lovely lesbian

6. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and welcome. I hope you can work through your feelings. As Chip said, hoping they will magically go away doesn't work. I have tried it, and it only leads to unhappiness.

7. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people