1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*waves awkwardly*

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by RandomGirl, May 4, 2015.

1. RandomGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi folks, I'm RandomGirl. I choose that name because it makes me feel like a superhero. (!)

I am bisexual. I like both guys and gals. I am twenty, and recently came out to my brother and my father. Sort of...I told my brother a few months back that I *might* be bisexual, but was probably not. Considering he has gay friends and was pretty accepting of the whole thing, I was trying to fool myself more than him and I think I succeeded in fulling him as much as I fooled myself. Which is to say, not at all. My dad's reaction was kind of...mixed?

We were talking about religion and we were both kind of upset. I told him that although I believe in God, I don't have the same faith any more. For me, I grew up very Catholic but due to my sexuality and having LGBT friends, I kind of didn't like being in a religion that dictates that they have to be forever alone.

But I avoided the subject a bit and said that so many horrible things happen in the world and that was the reason why I was having trouble in my faith.

And so he started arguing on that point, which of course didn't help since that wasn't the reason why.

So then I finally said, 'Dad, I'm going to tell you something. I think I might be...no, I AM bisexual.'

He said he loved me no matter what, and it doesn't matter if I'm gay. This was nothing at all. And that he'd punch anyone in the face that spoke bad about me to him. Which is nice to hear.

He also said he'd prefer to have a gay daughter over a gay son. And that he thinks that the majority of girls are a little bisexual...and that a part of this is possibly because my mother ran out on me when I was a child. He also mentioned that he didn't believe bisexuality exists in males and they're just gay.

Wait...what?

Okay, so it's good that he accepts me, but not so good that he's a bit...ignorant. Oh, well. He loves me and supports me, so that's good.

Now my other family members I'll eventually come out to...that's a bit more nerve wracking...

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey there and welcome to EC :wave:

Good to hear your dad took it relatively well, and perhaps over time he'll be a less less ignorant over LGBT stuffs :slight_smile:

3. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

Hi! Congrats on starting to come out! Hopefully through having a bisexual daughter, your dad will have more exposure to the community & learn a little more than he knows now.

4. layladylay

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Random girl,

Your brother sounds like he's bisexual, too. Straight dudes don't hang with gay dudes, just saying.'. As for your dad, he sounds like he's from another solar system. Tad homophobic ...

You know, I was actually thinking today if the shit that happened to me as a kid "caused" me to be gay. My mom also up and left when I was seven. The first girl I fell in love with was my best friend, when I was around 9. So I thought: did one "cause" the other, etc. And then I thought: "Why is this question even important?" - lol!

I'm also a recovering Catholic. I haven't done the God dance in a long time. But since I've moved to the South, everyone has to belong to a church, or they're suspect. I "belong" to a progressive Presbyterian church, which just barely passes as acceptable hereabouts, but at least I have an answer when I'm asked - far too frequently - "what church do you belong to?"

So it's really hard to get away from Christianity here. I had a counselor who told me he felt that "He" could help me. And my therapist now says, "I think people who have issues with the " Father" are generally those who have issues with their own father." (So ....?). And - to top it off - my psychiatrist has a huge picture of Jesus on his wall, and always asks me if I'm going to church. "Yes," I lie. "Good, good.". He'd probably have a diagnosis for me if I were to say I did not! It's just easier to lie.

So being down here among all the Jesusists, and having gone through some rough spells, I wondered if there was anything to this God stuff, and I tried praying, and having faith in a Higher Power, etc. But it was a farce, and I realized it. I don't do God, so bite me. I also don't do heterosexuality anymore, and breaking away from it, throwing it off like a blanket I didn't need, was a lot like quitting God. BTDT, KWIM?

Welcome, enjoy your journey!

5. Buttercup2

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi! Even if it's for slightly weird reasons, I'm glad your dad has your back. Having even one family member in your corner can mean the world.

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Simply not true.

---------- Post added 5th May 2015 at 06:58 PM ----------

Being human doesn't dictate being straight, it's just common.
    Catholicism doesn't dictate homophobia. It's just common, in the most unfortunate way. I think it's a wise choice in your immeditate life to distance yourself from all homophobic institutions. However, don't let any endemic homophobia in organized religion take religion away from you altogether! It might be that some day you lose your faith, and if you do, that's that, nothing good or bad imo, it just is that way. But for now it sounds like you have faith, so stick true to it.

Your dad sounds really sweet! A bit ignorant, yes, but I suggest believe in him and educate him and he'll come around in time :slight_smile:

Welcome to EC!! Hope to see ya around <3

7. AsiaJ33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :wave: Hi, RandomGirl! Welcome to EC! 'Tis a great site, and I hope you can feel nice and at home :slight_smile: congrats on starting to come out! Also, your dad sounds like he is at least trying. A bit ignorant, but he is trying. You are lucky for that :grin: well, my name is Asia and if you need someone to talk to you can always wall message me. I hope to see you around :smilewave

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. lovely lesbian

10. bi2me