1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello I guess?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by SneakyBuffalo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. SneakyBuffalo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry I wrote a lot, but I have a lot to say, and no one to say it too, here it goes.
    So, I am new to this site and I usually just keep to myself, but I felt that I would stop creeping around and create a profile. So here I am. I guess I will start off by saying that I am Native American and that I grew up in a small town on a reservation. Growing up I was relatively ignored by my sisters and father once he realized we had very little in common. I avoided my mother because she had a temper, which has somewhat dissipated with age. So all I had growing up was my friends, which included one of my cousins. At a critical juncture in early adolescence, however, they decided to bully me. I was smarter, more mature, my family sheltered us (which is unusual for the rez), and on top of it I was gay I guess. So I lost my friends and learned to live alone. What no one failed to realize though was that I was transitioning from a shy but outgoing kid into a reclusive teenager.
    Well, I went off to community college and got my AA, but when I tried to get a bachelor's degree, I failed miserably. Through introspection and some searching on google, I came to the conclusion that I had developed Avoidant Personality Disorder (AvPD). As the college classes became more student interactive, I failed. I dropped out and went back home, and then tried again this past fall semester. I failed again though. So here I am 25 at home again feeling like a loser, which I know I am not because if I hadn't been impaired I would have had a degree at 22. I've also been keeping people at a distance for well over half my life now, so even opening up to strangers is a big leap for me.
    Anyway, I guess I will come around to the whole closet thing now, since that is what this place is about. Growing up I assumed that I would be a "standard" heterosexual, but looking back now, I can see that was never going to happen. When it didn't, it wasn't any big deal. I had created my own world so I was fine with being gay. It wasn't until I was seventeen though that I actually said it out loud to myself, lying in the dark before bed. It took another 4 years for me to attempt a coming out though. My older sister who is 3 years older and shares my birthday had already come out as bisexual. So I came out on my 21st birthday to Facebook, but I wasn't friends with my parents, so I would had to have told them in person. I chickened out though and made my sister text them. My parents and I sorta avoided each other until I had to come home that summer from school and work at my rez. When the subject came up though, I was called a sicko by my mother who also said she should get her gun on me? I was mad all the way home, and if they hadn't been leaving on a two week trip I would probably be somewhere better right now. It didn't though, and we both let it slide. They went into denial, and I was forced back into the dreaded closet. Four years later and I am still working on a second confrontation. It would all be so much easier if I didn't have that pesky AvPD, I could be self-sufficent and not having to deal with any of this mess. Anyway, sharing this has my nerves rattled and I am contemplated deleting this, but I won't. :help:

2. Psaurus918

Welcome. Don't delete your post, I'm sure you can find advice on here, maybe not in the New Members section but the Coming Out/Advice section

3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  4. A Life Freed

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi SneakyBuffalo,

Maybe you should try not to focus on the AvPD too much. I hear you that not getting your bachelors really got you down but don't forget that you have your AA so you have accomplished things. Maybe give your bachelors one more shot? There are tons of online programs out there which are much less interactive.

I hope you're able to find the support you need here and good luck. (*hug*)

5. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello SneakyBuffalo

Welcome to EC. People here are nice and supportive.

I am glad you joined, and I hope you can get some help - I am sure you can. I understand your cultural background must add additional layers of complexity to the situation. As for the AvPD, I would be careful about self diagnosis. I can convince myself I have every psychological disorder in the book.